Calico Cochin Thread

Pics
I'm interested in acquiring some Calico Bantam cochins. I was considering finding a breeder who sells breeder pairs or trios, maybe young birds, or even chicks.

I just really want one rooster but would be willing to take on a couple in order to choose my favorite.

Q1) I have a few questions, anyone here that breeds them willing to ship to me? I am in New Mexico.

Q2) How are the bantam cochin roosters as far as aggressiveness goes? I have young kids and I do not want a jerk rooster.

Q3) I have 2 golden laced bantam cochin hens, and 1 birchen bantam cochin. Would would the resulting chicks look like from those combinations and a Calico rooster? I am SO new to genetics. I pick things up quick but I have spent minimal time trying to understand how these colors work.

I'm sure someone else on here that is truly an expert will answer you more in depth, however I have Calico Cochins. I have one rooster and two hens. All 3 of them are very calm, docile, friendly eat out of your hand chickens. The rooster is very friendly(as roosters go). He eats out of my hand, he watches over his hens and is not territorial at all when it comes to people. He is however VERY protective when it comes to ohter roosters. I think you will be fine, however I suggest you get one as a very young bird and handle him alot. GOOD LUCK!

I'm interested in acquiring some Calico Bantam cochins. I was considering finding a breeder who sells breeder pairs or trios, maybe young birds, or even chicks.

I just really want one rooster but would be willing to take on a couple in order to choose my favorite.

Q1) I have a few questions, anyone here that breeds them willing to ship to me? I am in New Mexico.

Q2) How are the bantam cochin roosters as far as aggressiveness goes? I have young kids and I do not want a jerk rooster.

Q3) I have 2 golden laced bantam cochin hens, and 1 birchen bantam cochin. Would would the resulting chicks look like from those combinations and a Calico rooster? I am SO new to genetics. I pick things up quick but I have spent minimal time trying to understand how these colors work.

A1) Yes- many of us here do ship. Ask around until you find somebody who has exactly what you want. I have a cockerel for sale right now but he is lacking white.

A2) No, the bantam cochin roosters are as friendly as friendly gets.

A3) No, what you have will just make some weird colored chicks. Really, their is no such thing as a calico Cochin. Calico is an off shoot from the Mille Fleur project. Mille Fleur's are still a work in progress but are well on their way to making improvements and getting the correct color/ pattern. We are still a long ways away but every egg we set is one step closer to getting the Mille Fleur pattern on bantam Cochins. But, like I said, The only thing a Calico is is an offshoot of the Mille project.

Actually birchen is related to Colombian which is often used to improve Chevron markings. your first generations might not look that spectacular, the breed them back to calico and they should look quite good.

Thanks everyone. I figured I would ask about the other cochins just because I'm not sure how easy it would be to tell their eggs apart unless I built an entirely separate enclosure, which I could do but I like to freerange my birds and at that point you can't really control where they go to lay. But I could try.

My birchen bantam is the most typey of them, the others I think are hatchery birds and dont have as much "fluff on their butts" as my son says LOL.

I'm definitely interested in finding someone who will ship me some chicks or pullets & a roo.

I'm most interested in just getting in there and trying it. That's how I learn. And i just love these colors!

Last edited:
There was a discussion about using Gold Laced in our projects too, at one time. Results would probably be closer toward Tolbunt... You could choose worse varieties!

Yup, Cochins are good with kids
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom