california - CENTRAL COAST

No Im 28, when my husband and I have kids I hope they will be. I grew up in santa cruz so I didnt really have property here we bought a little over 2 acres and love it! Do u do 4H?

Hi
We live in Paso Robles and have 15 hens. We are trying to find other people in the area with chickens. We live out of town about 4 miles past Food 4 Less. My husband and I are newbies this year. We are looking for a mentor who has had chickens in the area and knows a few things. Hope to hear from you soon.
Debbie and Greg

I actually live about 10 minutes out of paso headed east in the ground squirrel hollow area welcome to this site. People will have answers for all your questions. What type of chickens do u have?

Hi
Thank you for responding to my request. We have 20 acres. We currently have 2 Quarter horses, 4 cats, 3 Dobermans and 15 hens. We have 4 Buff Orps, 5 Australorps, 3 Silver and 3 Golden Wyandottes. We love our ladies and they have rewarded us with an average of 11 eggs a day. They eat all of the extra stuff out of the garden and all the left over veggies from the kitchen. We buy our layer pellets from Templeton Feed. What do you have?
BYC has been great answering most of our questions. Have your hens ever had mites? Most of our hens have lost feathers on their backs above their tales. I asked BYC, but the most anyone could suggest was either a Rooster (which we do't have) or possibly a dominent female mounting. We have not seen this behavior and we see the hens a lot. We've looked for parasites, but we don't think we see any. They appear to all be healthy and active. Any ideas or do you know of a vet in the area who does chickens?
Thanks
Debbie and Greg

Hi, Im in northern cali, but moving back to san miguel the independence ranch area, I dont have any birds right now but I want to get some although I have to build a new chicken coop since our other is a bit decrepit lol. Also have to build a barn for my horses ;) Im wondering what kind of chickens to get, really love yokohamas pekins and silkies, but not sure whhat I m going to be able to get.

Hi
Welcome back to the neighborhood. We live in Paso about 4 miles past the Food 4 Less. I would look for breeds that can handle the heat of summer (the most important) and some cold of winter. The hottest it got last summer was 112 degrees and the low for this winter so far has been 19 degrees. I think the summer heat is the hardest on the birds. We have their outside pen under a large Oak to get shade, but it was hot! We have 15 hens; 4 Buff Orps, 5 black Australorps and 3 each golden and silver Wynadottes. They all seem to do OK with the heat. If you don't have time to build a coop, Santa Margarita Lumber builds 2 models that are really sturdy and they deliver. Keep in touch.

Well we think we solved the feather problem. Dr Steve Robinson at El Camino Vet hospital in Atascadero will see chickens. He felt they have feather mites, so the girls are now on Ivermectin. Hopefully by spring they will look great again.

Back
Top Bottom