California Gray???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by nanawendy, Feb 25, 2010.

1. New2Peeps

New2Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Indiana
  2. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
  3. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard that California Grays are also known as Production Black. They have these on Ideal, and I had a couple. They're known for being the best non-white leghorn layer around. They're basically barred leghorns. Here's a photo of mine:
    [​IMG]

4. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    On central hatcheries site the male in the front that looks washed out from the flash is what my male looked like

5. Quote:[​IMG] CALIFORNIA WHITES ARE THE BEST [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Matthew

6. danhonour

danhonour Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Dutchess County,NY
    I have been told these California Grays are very light cuckoo in color,good layers and very tame. They are suppose to lay white eggs and have white earlobes. They would be very useful in developing Barred Leghorns,Cuckoo Leghorns ,Crele Leghorns or auto-sex Leghorns.They would also be good to use for increased egg production in Black or Blue Leghorns or Lavender / Isabella Leghorns.

7. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Thanks so much for all the great info. I really appreciate the time and effort [​IMG]

8. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    California Gray or Production Black were a cross of White Leghorns Roosters over Barred Rock Hens.
    They take a California Gray and corss it back over White Leghorn hens to create the California Whites.

9. foxflower

foxflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Surprise Valley, CA
    I know this is an old post, but thought I'd add some information in case anybody else come looking. I was searching for California Grays and found they are available at Privett Hatchery in New Mexico. I just ordered 25. I'm hoping to help preserve them....we'll see what they are like and if they make the breed cut.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by