California Gray???

I've heard that California Grays are also known as Production Black. They have these on Ideal, and I had a couple. They're known for being the best non-white leghorn layer around. They're basically barred leghorns. Here's a photo of mine:
IMGP6468.jpg

I have been told these California Grays are very light cuckoo in color,good layers and very tame. They are suppose to lay white eggs and have white earlobes. They would be very useful in developing Barred Leghorns,Cuckoo Leghorns ,Crele Leghorns or auto-sex Leghorns.They would also be good to use for increased egg production in Black or Blue Leghorns or Lavender / Isabella Leghorns.

California Gray or Production Black were a cross of White Leghorns Roosters over Barred Rock Hens.
They take a California Gray and corss it back over White Leghorn hens to create the California Whites.

I know this is an old post, but thought I'd add some information in case anybody else come looking. I was searching for California Grays and found they are available at Privett Hatchery in New Mexico. I just ordered 25. I'm hoping to help preserve them....we'll see what they are like and if they make the breed cut.

Back
Top Bottom