California Gray???

1) California Grays were developed in the 1930s by Professor Dryden after his retirement; it was a continuation of his earlier work with crosses of Barred Rock and White Leghorns. Professor Dryden bred the first documented 300 egg per year hen, Lady McDuff, and the first hen with a laying career of over 1,000 eggs, Oregona.
2) They are a true autosexing breed. They were never bred for anything other than production, so the APA never recognized them. They breed true.
3) They are calmer and less noisy than a Leghorn; but stil more active than many American class breeds.
4) They are active foragers and used in some commercial free range operations.
5) Robert Plamondon has written about them and uses them in his commercial free range operation. See www.plamondon.com.
6) If you want to try a white egg layer, I'd suggest getting a few and seeing if they work out for you.

I have California Whites and Grays both, the ones I have are as calm as my RIR's and BCM's, but I also get in the coops and mess with them everyday. And as far as egg laying mine lay 6 to 7 eggs a week per bird, but their not a good meat bird, the meat is good just not much of it.

I have a couple of these, got them at a feed store actually. Was hoping to get more but haven't seen them in a store since. Mine lay lots of gigantic chalk-white eggs, but that's where their resemblance to a leghorn ends, they are docile and intelligent. I was told they are a non-setting breed but apparently mine didn't get the memo, every spring at least one will make a secret nest in my yard and hatch out a pile of babies... see image below. :)

I have a couple of these, got them at a feed store actually. Was hoping to get more but haven't seen them in a store since. Mine lay lots of gigantic chalk-white eggs, but that's where their resemblance to a leghorn ends, they are docile and intelligent. I was told they are a non-setting breed but apparently mine didn't get the memo, every spring at least one will make a secret nest in my yard and hatch out a pile of babies... see image below. :)

Unbelievable! Are all the babies from a California Gray rooster too? I wonder if the feed store where you got your chicks got them from Privett Hatchery. As far as I know, they are the only hatchery source. They are located in New Mexico. I talked to a hatchery manager at Privett, and he recommeneded their White Leghorns for size and quantity of eggs, but now I'm beginning to think about it again! Your hen looks real nice too with the brown mixed in with the black barring. Better to have some color in a free range situation. Very nice she hatched out all those babies. Wow.

They can lay up to 300 large white eggs, Very nice and friendly
thumbsup.gif
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom