California grey thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by stephanie1992, Sep 1, 2011.

1. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

anyone else have these?? or any california breeds??

post pics
    talk bout them

mine
    [​IMG]

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Don't have any, but do they lay well?

3. stephanie1992

very good layer of brown eggs. i get a decent sized egg from her every day

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:the boys suppose to be almost white right?

5. stephanie1992

yes i had a roo, he was almost white but was still barred, but very light coloring, males are lighter than females

6. stephanie1992

i couldnt ffind a pic of the roo i had but heres a pic i found online of one

[​IMG]

7. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:they have a Diluting gene that affects the boys since they have 2 shots of the same diluting gene, but hens look plain barred because they have only one shot of that gene

what is that gene? its an allele of the Barring gene, Let me see if I can find it...

8. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:they have a Diluting gene that affects the boys since they have 2 shots of the same diluting gene, but hens look plain barred because they have only one shot of that gene

what is that gene? its an allele of the Barring gene, Let me see if I can find it...

I found it..

its Sex Linked Dilute B^Sd, homozygous B^Sd/B^Sd males are white and Heterozygous B^Sd look light Barred, like above pic, why do they look barred? its because they are an allel of B, B^Sd.... oh and its a Sex linked gene like Barring(B)

Below pics are taken from
    http://chickengenetics.edelras.nl/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  9. stephanie1992

I found it..

its Sex Linked Dilute B^Sd, homozygous B^Sd/B^Sd males are white and Heterozygous B^Sd look light Barred, like above pic, why do they look barred? its because they are an allel of B, B^Sd.... oh and its a Sex linked gene like Barring(B)

Below pics are taken from
    http://chickengenetics.edelras.nl/

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j437/nicalandia/SexLinkedDilution.jpg

thank u for posting that, very helpful [​IMG]

10. cielo

cielo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Mattawa, Washington
    Quote:California Greys lay white eggs... How did you get brown eggs from one?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by