California Grey's

Ames Haven Farm

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2018
Florida
Does anyone know anything about California Grey's? I have a few eggs hatching that are a cross of my Barred Rock rooster and my white leghorn hen and one of the chicks that just hatched out is yellow. I was just surprised cause everything I read about them the female chicks were black like barred rocks and the males were a lighter gray color so I was confused. Is this right?

The hen has to be barred for the sexlinking to work, not the male. And it won't work with white anyhow, white is dominant. Crossing to white will produce all white chicks with some barring leakage.

California Grays or Grey are a pure breed of chicken.
California Whites are a cross between a California Gray cock over a White Leghorn hen. The resulting chicks are yellow with black spots, but only the pullet chicks have headspots.

Agreed, BrahmaChicken5000 is right. California Grays are not a hybrid. They are an established breed that breeds true. Though they are not yet APA accepted.

Your offspring from your Barred Rock/White Leghorn should produce very good dual purpose birds. They will lay better than Barred Rocks and be meatier than White Leghorns. But will be simply crossbreds none the less.

Back
Top Bottom