California - Northern

The add says to raise the Hedemora chickens in zones 2-4 and maybe 5 unless they are air conditioned. Woodland is between zones 8 and 9.
barnie.gif

I am sure the integrating problem was my fault. I am doing much better now and I have the White Bresse integrated with the Layers now.

I really like the Basque Hens. The ones that I hatched from Megan's flock did not need to be treated with corid. They are very healthy.

one of my basques, Eleanor, is my friendliest & bravest chicken when it comes to people, but she was also the most aggressive broody toward other broodies/chicks, and i'm pretty sure is the one who killed several of another broody's chicks.

but that said, my other basque never went broody and was one of my timid hens, til she got taken out by the bobcat.

so, not sure much can be concluded about the breed from those two examples!

one of my basques, Eleanor, is my friendliest & bravest chicken when it comes to people, but she was also the most aggressive broody toward other broodies/chicks, and i'm pretty sure is the one who killed several of another broody's chicks.

but that said, my other basque never went broody and was one of my timid hens, til she got taken out by the bobcat.

so, not sure much can be concluded about the breed from those two examples!

Exactly. Too little data LOL.

I have come here so many time re. Della, My weird egg layer gone non egg layer and now back to weird eggs. She mostly lays them at night on the poo tray under the roosts. They aren't there when I close them in the coop at night and if there is one it is there at dawn, cool and usually cracked and unusable and compromised in one way or another. I hope you don't mind my sharing news of her.

In her history she has laid several huge eggs inc 2 incidents of an egg in an egg. Her eggs are typically large and at least partly thin shelled and since early on she rarely puts them in the nesting box. I have watched her lay them in the dirt or they are under her on the poop tray.

She stopped all together in June when she got sick with what I thought was either sour crop or internal laying or both and I pretty much decided that she was an internal layer and her days were numbered. Her personality changed too. She used to be the first to greet me and now she hangs by herself a lot.

Well like I said she is laying again. It's sort of a pain b/c I have to clean up after her before any of the others finds the yummy egg but I think the things she produces are interesting. Today it was a soft shelled egg mostly covered by a membrane with a little balloon at one end full of albumen. Anyway, the dogs and her coopmates are happy with what she produces after I get them cooked up. Her personality seems to be returning somewhat too.

That's all I just wanted to share it with people who may be a little interested
wink.png
I hope this means she is not an internal layer and that she will make it to a long chicken life. She is exempted from the lay or get the ax rule because she started out so darned sweet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom