California - Northern

Congratulations to @capayvalleychick for making the number one post for ovations yesterday!

Also, we are 161 post from overtaking the number 8 most active thread of all time!
Bravo!
thumbsup.gif

I am driving from Windsor to Bakersfield/Tehachapi, and right back, this Sunday 4/27. (getting a new doeling!
hide.gif
)
Happy to take riders of nearly any species, as long as I can get there on time. (leave home at 6AM)
Current route is 101-680-5-46-99...forgot the hwy to Tehachapi, flexible as needed.

PM is best, in case I miss replies here.

Quote:
I've gone a little crazy...going to sell this batch of chicks though...maybe get another incubator? Ha ha ha. 15 Serama chicks eat a quart size thing of food and water each day..they are very hungry chicks! My eggs are supposed to hatch next weekend.
Put there feeder in something with a lip thwt can hop into.. I bet 50% of that is spillage! Bad seremas and your crazy feet.
Thanks for the plug Chickee. And Thank You for helping out with the first test hatch.They are beautiful babies. It looks like my young SLW cockerel at almost a year was still working up his skill level at covering his hens. :( The Splash BLR I got from you was sneaking in when they were free ranging together as his grandmother was not particularly impressed with him yet. He WAS sneaky too as I never ever saw him that close to any of the SLW pullets. He is now in with his Black laced grand dam and the Lavender AM's happy as can be. The Silvers are on their own now.No chance of contamination. Below is the father of those that may be pure Silver Laced Wyandottes. I'm hoping for a few since this boy was taken by a predator. There are a few salvaged eggs under a broody and a few in the incubator. :fl We do have a new cockerel since the accident. He is beginning to mate fairly well already. He's not nearly as awkward as the first boy.
Hi to everyone and sorry I've been gone a long while raising puppies and doing Dog Breed work for my clubs. Hopefully we will raise a few chicks this summer and thin out a few of the AM's too. The pullets are laying well. :frow :frow
Wb! Beautiful boy sorry you lost him.
Also by the way, I lost my only Easter Egger today. As I wen to feed and water them this morning I noticed she was acting very sluggish and her eyes were like death. She was alive but barely. She was sitting there as if she were broody, but in a very awkward place and so I wen to move her and a hole as big as a toilet paper roll opening was right at her hind end. I could see her insides and at that point she had lost too much blood to save. I laid her to rest finally at about 10 AM in a comfortable place. I can't imagine what got in their run last night. The only thing I can think that'd fit would be wither a snake or small rodent. Anyways in peace she is now. Just shocked. She was my favorite hen.
Hugs. I can hatch out some of my project eggs for you you just have to let me inseminate some eggs from any blue egg laying silkies you get. Should give you a few blue egg layers that are broody little things too.
I found a weird egg today. It has lots of grooves in it. I thought it was cracked at first, but it has grooved lines in the egg. What would cause that?
Those are random. Only worry if you get a lot of them. My missing hen I did not say anything about because it was depressing returned!! We are covering all the screen on the porch with the weatheting paneling tonight . Those seremas are sneaky if you dont. Huzzah googly eye!!

I found a weird egg today. It has lots of grooves in it. I thought it was cracked at first, but it has grooved lines in the egg. What would cause that?
a cold or mycoplasma infection can scar the area where the hen adds the shell to the egg, causing ripples or odd shapes. I had a few like that, most were fine inside but once in a while a "pearl" was inside the egg...visible enough bits of calcium that I could remove them before cooking.
Hopefully in your case it's a random egg!

This boy is going to replace the one that died at @CackleJoy 's place!

I may need to get some hatching eggs from her later.....

He is absolutely beautiful Ron! Thank you! It's pouring rain so he is just in the garden room tonight. Tomorrow we'll get him settled in something nicer. Thanks again!

Quote:
You would think but they eat like crazy! There is no food on the sand or anywhere else and they mob me when I go to grab the container....I will take a video they're like locusts lol

Also by the way, I lost my only Easter Egger today. As I wen to feed and water them this morning I noticed she was acting very sluggish and her eyes were like death. She was alive but barely. She was sitting there as if she were broody, but in a very awkward place and so I wen to move her and a hole as big as a toilet paper roll opening was right at her hind end. I could see her insides and at that point she had lost too much blood to save. I laid her to rest finally at about 10 AM in a comfortable place. I can't imagine what got in their run last night. The only thing I can think that'd fit would be wither a snake or small rodent. Anyways in peace she is now. Just shocked. She was my favorite hen.
hugs.gif

So sorry, for some reason it is always the favorites!

I have lots of EE's right now if you want to get some new blue egg layers. They are chicks and chicks are healing to the soul.

Back
Top Bottom