California - Northern

Well its been 2 days probably rotten and the eyes are dried. I will have to wait for the next one :/ I did give them a bunch of herbs yesterday and I had one acting odd. she is improving. But usually I don't see any behavior issues. Thank you for the help Casport

i am in NW Nevada - close to Reno - so we are neighbors :)
welcome-byc.gif
What kind of birds do you have?

Welcome!

Quick behavior question (though it's likely just another to file under "Chickens are silly"
wink.png
) Little No-Name, who is a mix with bantie and gamebird blood, was in the temporary nest box (milk crate in the get-to-know-you pen, which I really should take down now that everyone's roosting together) when I was gathering eggs. When I tried to see if there was anything under her, she snapped at me (not the weird bit) and then started pulling nesting material over herself--or trying to, since that box has deep litter in it. What was that about?

Welcome!

Quick behavior question (though it's likely just another to file under "Chickens are silly"
wink.png
) Little No-Name, who is a mix with bantie and gamebird blood, was in the temporary nest box (milk crate in the get-to-know-you pen, which I really should take down now that everyone's roosting together) when I was gathering eggs. When I tried to see if there was anything under her, she snapped at me (not the weird bit) and then started pulling nesting material over herself--or trying to, since that box has deep litter in it. What was that about?
Is she laying eggs? Some pullets\hens will get grumpy when they lay an egg or are getting close to starting for young birds.

It could also be the start of going broody. Usually they will start sleeping in the nest box and then not get out during the day.

Welcome!

Quick behavior question (though it's likely just another to file under "Chickens are silly";) ) Little No-Name, who is a mix with bantie and gamebird blood, was in the temporary nest box (milk crate in the get-to-know-you pen, which I really should take down now that everyone's roosting together) when I was gathering eggs. When I tried to see if there was anything under her, she snapped at me (not the weird bit) and then started pulling nesting material over herself--or trying to, since that box has deep litter in it. What was that about?

I have a BBC Marans who love to put nesting material on her back. I think its for "camouflage"

Quote:
She's been laying for about a month, and, when I realized that I could just pick up the whole nestbox and get under her that way, she'd already laid for the day (she had her and Cookie's egg under her breast). I'll keep an eye on her and see if she stays in the nest box--when I went out later, she was eating, but I haven't been out again.

Welcome!

Quick behavior question (though it's likely just another to file under "Chickens are silly";) ) Little No-Name, who is a mix with bantie and gamebird blood, was in the temporary nest box (milk crate in the get-to-know-you pen, which I really should take down now that everyone's roosting together) when I was gathering eggs. When I tried to see if there was anything under her, she snapped at me (not the weird bit) and then started pulling nesting material over herself--or trying to, since that box has deep litter in it. What was that about?

I always see this as a celebration of laying.

Like throwing confetti. But it is a brooding behavior. All that is left in some non broody hens.

Back
Top Bottom