California - Northern

Does anyone have a few lav orpington pullets for sale? I need some for a project
smile.png
pop.gif

What is the project?

It depends entirely on the duck. For eggs khaki campbells and golden 300s. If you want to sell chicks or eggs get the same breed its virtually impossible to sell mixed ducks except mulards.

Female ducks not babies are hard to find however.
I was thinking Welsh Harlequins. I don't know if I want to do this. Ideally I would like two females. I don't want to breed or hatch (of course I said that about chickens too) But I would like duck eggs. If that won't be practical because of overbreeding then I would like a drake to keep the first boy company.

Thanks Kathy. Where is Gonzales?

It depends entirely on the duck. For eggs khaki campbells and golden 300s. If you want to sell chicks or eggs get the same breed its virtually impossible to sell mixed ducks except mulards.

Female ducks not babies are hard to find however.

I was thinking Welsh Harlequins.  I don't know if I want to do this.  Ideally I would like two females.  I don't want to breed or hatch (of course I said that about chickens too) But I would like duck eggs. If that won't be practical because of overbreeding then I would like a drake to keep the first boy company.

Thanks Kathy.  Where is Gonzales?

It's south of Salinas, but I think they ship.

-Kathy

Strangest thing. Getting my chicks out of the newly hatched brooder (they are about 3 weeks old) and getting ready to upgrade them to the next cage so I can sanitize the brooder and refill it.

The chicks are all different breeds and some are Orpingtons so they are huge, right? I didn't pay any attention to the extra fat SFH. Until I picked her up.
sickbyc.gif
She felt like a balloon. I lifted a wing and you can see through her skin. There is this HUGE HUGE air pocket all around one side of her body.

idunno.gif
What in the world is this? I'm at a complete loss. It is some kind of infection? It looks like gas build up and now that I have her isolated she looks like she could just pop.

She is the only one like this. So very odd. Any ideas?

My husband just got home, he has a fancy phone camera. I'll see if I can get some photos. Kind of afraid to handle her!

Strangest thing. Getting my chicks out of the newly hatched brooder (they are about 3 weeks old) and getting ready to upgrade them to the next cage so I can sanitize the brooder and refill it.

The chicks are all different breeds and some are Orpingtons so they are huge, right? I didn't pay any attention to the extra fat SFH. Until I picked her up.
sickbyc.gif
She felt like a balloon. I lifted a wing and you can see through her skin. There is this HUGE HUGE air pocket all around one side of her body.

idunno.gif
What in the world is this? I'm at a complete loss. It is some kind of infection? It looks like gas build up and now that I have her isolated she looks like she could just pop.

She is the only one like this. So very odd. Any ideas?

My husband just got home, he has a fancy phone camera. I'll see if I can get some photos. Kind of afraid to handle her!
http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/rupturedairsac.htm

I've not seen it in chickens, but I have seen it in a pigeon and a parakeet before. Both survived with treatment. Good luck!

Last edited:
I would have liked a photo from the front because it shows that she looked like she had an engorged crop. Except it's not, it is all air.

I would have liked a photo from the front because it shows that she looked like she had an engorged crop. Except it's not, it is all air.

If it's air, it's probably a ruptured air sac (Subcutaneous Emphysema).

This is a thread I started:
This is my chick with it:

Couple of good links to read:

Picture of air sacs.

Picture from: http://chickscope.beckman.uiuc.edu/explore/embryology/day15/how.html

More air sac pictures:

From: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=15+1829&aid=2721

From: http://www.thewildclassroom.com/biodiversity/birds/aviantopics/environmentalphysiology.html

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thank you for the interesting read Kathy. CackleJoy good luck with the procedure & your chick!

Back
Top Bottom