California - Northern

Checking in to say "Hello"! The new coop still isn't completed and while we plan to work on it more it's going to be awhile as Mr. Nikon goes in for surgery on a partial tendon tear in a couple of weeks. Definitely miss my cluck-clucks. They aren't laying right now as Mr Nikon's grandma constructed a tarp roof over their run and my guess is that it's just too dark now in their coop and run area. She won't listen and is now set on dispatching her two hens for not laying at only 2 years of age. Gotta get our coop done and get them moved to their new home.

Checking in to say "Hello"! The new coop still isn't completed and while we plan to work on it more it's going to be awhile as Mr. Nikon goes in for surgery on a partial tendon tear in a couple of weeks. Definitely miss my cluck-clucks. They aren't laying right now as Mr Nikon's grandma constructed a tarp roof over their run and my guess is that it's just too dark now in their coop and run area. She won't listen and is now set on dispatching her two hens for not laying at only 2 years of age. Gotta get our coop done and get them moved to their new home.

Can the tarp be changed for a sun screen. Home depot sells them. The sunscreen will block enough light for heat but allow enough light for egg laying. The screen will also allow for air flow. Air flow(ventilation) is good for chickens.

The light level does not have to be too high just enough for them to see food and etc.

I hope the surgery goes well!

Hope the surgery goes well! Sounds like the girls need to get back to you before they end up in the stew pot!

We finally got started on out new coop yesterday. We re converting a large wooden storage vault that is bout 7 feet long X 4 feet deep X8 feet tall. We have to cut the roof down on 1 end because the covered run it is going in has slanted roof for rain runoff. We also had to take it apart to get it into the run since it is wider and taller than any of the openings. Will have to do the same to get the old one out. This one will be sooooo much better. It will have better ventilation to let out the summer heat, nest box access from outside the coop, a walk in door for cleaning instead of a lean-way-in one that kills my back and, most importantly, way more roosting space and poop board! Can't wait to get it done....hopefully before it gets too hot!

Morning everyone!

I found this site while researching the different options for treating mites and though some of you might find it interesting/useful.
http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2666&Itemid=2947
I haven't verified any of the info yet.
Great information! Maybe you could add the link to your signature so we can find it again.
big_smile.png

Will get pics tonight but the chicken assembly line is 3/4's complete

Incubator is running in the house.

Garage Brooder from Hatch to 6-8 weeks is working great and can be divided to separate 3+ week olds from new chicks easily

Outside Brooder/cages for 8-12 week olds are built and my biggie babies spent first night outside.

Next project is building the permanent coop/breeding pens.

Hoping to get some hatching eggs at the party and be able to start the cycle again.

I have 3 destinations for birds that need coops built right now and several other people who seem to be interested in chicken keeping.
Having so much fun with this. But the projects keep piling up.

This little girl was lifeless and freezing this morning. She hadn't left the coop with mom and her 3 siblings. Feet were icy legs were stiff. She was laying on her side and I seriously thought she was dead. But her eyes were open and she is one of my new little CCLs and I have heard so many stories of cold chicks being revived that I stuck her in my shirt. On the way to work, I cranked the heater and held her up to it. At about .25 mile from work she opened her beak. I sat in the parking lot figuring out what to do...all the while holding her up to the vent. When the dash got warm enough I plopped her up there but she was still immobile except for her beak opening. Little by little she started moving and chirping but I had to go to class. I left her on the dashboard with the motor running and the heater on until quarter to 9 when I brought her in and put her on a towel with latex gloves filled with hot water underneath and currently she is eating drinking pooping and chirping. She is coordinated enough to scratch and preen
1f602.png
God wanted this one to hang out here awhile longer and I am still so excited and happy that I listened to my heart and didn't give up on her.

Meet Milagros
big_smile.png

This little girl was lifeless and freezing this morning. She hadn't left the coop with mom and her 3 siblings. Feet were icy legs were stiff. She was laying on her side and I seriously thought she was dead. But her eyes were open and she is one of my new little CCLs and I have heard so many stories of cold chicks being revived that I stuck her in my shirt. On the way to work, I cranked the heater and held her up to it. At about .25 mile from work she opened her beak. I sat in the parking lot figuring out what to do...all the while holding her up to the vent. When the dash got warm enough I plopped her up there but she was still immobile except for her beak opening. Little by little she started moving and chirping but I had to go to class. I left her on the dashboard with the motor running and the heater on until quarter to 9 when I brought her in and put her on a towel with latex gloves filled with hot water underneath and currently she is eating drinking pooping and chirping. She is coordinated enough to scratch and preen
1f602.png
God wanted this one to hang out here awhile longer and I am still so excited and happy that I listened to my heart and didn't give up on her.

Meet Milagros
big_smile.png
What a great story! She's a cute little thing and obviously a fighter!

Internet meet chef and the muppets!

These are my svart hona chicks from@KYTinpusher
wallie is an amazing shipper!
(The one with the white is a sweedish flower hen.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom