California - Northern

Hi Chris,
about the pita pintas, do they fly? are they racy? I need the big fat hens that would never think about flying.

Julie Rust

Julie, my Australorps can't even get more than a foot off the ground... they don't like to fly and I don't think they could even if they wanted to...lol ....Rae

Yeah, mine are diggers! Haven't had to clip anybody's wings.
They are great foragers! We currently have 3 breeding pens set up at the farm. One has blue & black Langshan, another has Pita Pinta, and the third has Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks. The Langshan and Pita Pinta have their runs almost completely cleared while there are all kinds of weeds still in the SPPR run.

They are great foragers! We currently have 3 breeding pens set up at the farm. One has blue & black Langshan, another has Pita Pinta, and the third has Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks. The Langshan and Pita Pinta have their runs almost completely cleared while there are all kinds of weeds still in the SPPR run.
They would go well with orpington or australorp--Mine are friends with the Amelias(Cream Legbar x Crele Penedesnca) hens.

I've been working on my Welsummers to improve type and also egg color. Type is improving nicely this year, and my first pullet of this year started laying. All 4 eggs are from the same pullet, but they are darkening every day. Welsummers are supposed to lay terra cotta (clay pot colored) eggs, and it just doesn't get much better than this! I so can't wait for the rest of them to start laying!

This shows the coloring well.

Same eggs with a late season Marans egg on top for color comparison.

Last edited:
Craigslist replies...
he.gif
th.gif

Hi Chris,
about the pita pintas, do they fly? are they racy? I need the big fat hens that would never think about flying.

Julie Rust
I love the Pitas no they dont fly generally I rarely have to chase one either if Im trying to catch them for some reason. Boys and Girls both dont seem opposed to being held if hand raised. (Individual birds my vary Ive had a few so far that are more skittish between 16 weeks and POL for girls and about 22 weeks for the boys. Hormones mostly. They are often curious and come to see what Im doing even if they are the more shy birds. Many of them will remain still enough to just pick up. Ive even had a few that are attention seekers.

Have not seen much aggression from any of them (occasional spats but nothing vicious)

thanks for everyone suggestions. I dont think tunnelling would be good, but maybe I will give some a try.

Julie Rust

My Pita Pintas do not dig tunnels. They stay in their yard like good chickens.

The thing about them is that they are not like other Mediterranean breeds.They are more like Australorps.

My Pita Pintas do not dig tunnels. They stay in their yard like good chickens.

The thing about them is that they are not like other Mediterranean breeds.They are more like Australorps.
Mine don't really tunnel but they are good at finding the weak spots in the fencing or the gate that was left open just slightly! I currently have a 10-12 week old chick that keeps getting into the garden area. I can't figure out how she does it. The fences are too high for her to fly over so she must have found a gap at the bottom.

Ron, I recently read that Pita Pinta are not a Mediterranean breed. They are an Atlantic breed. This is a nice introductory article with photos.

http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/07E04A04.pdf

Mine don't really tunnel but they are good at finding the weak spots in the fencing or the gate that was left open just slightly! I currently have a 10-12 week old chick that keeps getting into the garden area. I can't figure out how she does it. The fences are too high for her to fly over so she must have found a gap at the bottom.

Ron, I recently read that Pita Pinta are not a Mediterranean breed. They are an Atlantic breed. This is a nice introductory article with photos.

http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/07E04A04.pdf
Well, it looks like some people do consider them a Mediterranean breed. Hmmm....back to researching.

Back
Top Bottom