California - Northern

I came across an unfamiliar term today.
What are "Creeper Legs"?
I'm delving into Serama SOP since there will be a couple serious 4-H entries this year.
I do absolutely nothing with Seramas, so I did a quick search of the Serama thread here. Creeper legs come from a gene that causes very short stunted legs when the birds are het for it, and is lethal when the birds are homo for it (so breeding two creeper legged birds would be fatal for the offspring). I am sure you could get further info there. Apparently the legs are so short the wings cannot be held properly for show.

Last edited:
Creeper or lethal genes come from Japanese bantams (take a look at their short legs) two short legged birds will have a 50% death rate i believe but short and long bred together will poduce 25% death 50% mid sized legs and 25% long. Most breeders dont breed short legged birds

Creeper or lethal genes come from Japanese bantams (take a look at their short legs) two short legged birds will have a 50% death rate i believe but short and long bred together will poduce 25% death 50% mid sized legs and 25% long. Most breeders dont breed short legged birds
Thank you Nikki. I had come across the genetic problem of double short legged pairs but didn't realize it was called "Creeper Leg", and that it was sometimes found in Seramas.

Last edited:
if anyone is going to the modesto show and sees any barred rock bantams...could you post a contact number or any info on how to get those birds???? i am really looking for some and hesitate to get from a hatchery..would LOVE hatching eggs that do not ship from across the country! thanks for any help.

So i was told by a fellow serama breeder to candle the eggs i had set to hatch today/tomorrow and it looks that one is dead,one has veins/movement and one looks to maybe have pale veining?? As for the newer eggs one looks to of had early death and the others look okay. Does it sound like im gonna get anything? Even one chick?

Back
Top Bottom