California - Northern

Hi There,
I'm back as well! (Hi DeAnn!) Mostly as I can't imagine a Marans of quality laying only 2-3 eggs per week (comments above). My Splash and Blues lay 5 days per week. They are a heritage breed, so often take 8 months to start laying, but once they start, seem to do well. Maybe (just a maybe, mind you!) you had a high parasite load? That would prevent any bird from laying well.

I am getting good color, and they Marans eggs make a great contrast to the Pita Pinta eggs (the larger of the pale eggs below)! Just got the PP's into their own coop, so I'm planning on setting March 1st as well! Hoping to set a few CCL as well as i need some blue eggs in this mix, even if the Marans are my first love...

Hi There,
I'm back as well! (Hi DeAnn!) Mostly as I can't imagine a Marans of quality laying only 2-3 eggs per week (comments above). My Splash and Blues lay 5 days per week. They are a heritage breed, so often take 8 months to start laying, but once they start, seem to do well. Maybe (just a maybe, mind you!) you had a high parasite load? That would prevent any bird from laying well.

I am getting good color, and they Marans eggs make a great contrast to the Pita Pinta eggs (the larger of the pale eggs below)! Just got the PP's into their own coop, so I'm planning on setting March 1st as well! Hoping to set a few CCL as well as i need some blue eggs in this mix, even if the Marans are my first love...
I believe I was just sold poor quality birds. I've seen so many photos of beautiful Marans and their eggs, so I think I was just taken advantage of. But that's alright, I learned from it, and I do hope to get another nice Maran or two in the future, because I do want dark eggs.
smile.png

Hello everyone. I have not been on here in forever... How is everyone doing? Any new cool project people are working on? I have cut way way back on my birds. I am down to 60 birds, and most are 5-6 years old. I actually had to buy eggs this winter. That was painful. I just separated out my breeders and plan to set a hatch on 3/1, but I am not going to get out of hand this year. Now that I put that down in writing, ya'll have to keep me to my word. LOL

@Ronott1, I see you recently had a nice big hatch. It's shocking how well grocery store eggs hatch, but then again.. you are the master hatcher. Congrats!!!
It is great to hear from you!

I can't wait to see what the Whole foods chicks lay for eggs. They hatched from brown eggs while the Trader Joe's eggs were white.

Hi There,

Those are very nice eggs.

Did you get your PPs straight from Megan?

I believe I was just sold poor quality birds. I've seen so many photos of beautiful Marans and their eggs, so I think I was just taken advantage of. But that's alright, I learned from it, and I do hope to get another nice Maran or two in the future, because I do want dark eggs.
smile.png
Where did you get your Marans?

I might know where you can get some that lay darker eggs--but I still think the Penedesencas are a good way to go for the hot valley.

Hi There,

Hi Dawn, how is the wine biz? I missed seeing everyone at the the Heirloom festival this year. I am such a wimp. t was over a hundred degrees that weekend so I decided to stay home and lay low. Beautiful eggs! I have have really boring eggs, only beige and white. Im thinking about adding a few breeds to my layer flock this year for some added color.

Hello everyone. I have not been on here in forever... How is everyone doing? Any new cool project people are working on? I have cut way way back on my birds. I am down to 60 birds, and most are 5-6 years old. I actually had to buy eggs this winter. That was painful. I just separated out my breeders and plan to set a hatch on 3/1, but I am not going to get out of hand this year. Now that I put that down in writing, ya'll have to keep me to my word. LOL

@Ronott1, I see you recently had a nice big hatch. It's shocking how well grocery store eggs hatch, but then again.. you are the master hatcher. Congrats!!!
Hi Deann,
I too rarely come on here anymore. I have cut so far back that all I kept was my BCMs, but Jules has a lot of things I used to have if I ever get the itch again....LOL. I am too decrepid to physically do all that is required to do it right so I busy myself with simple indoor projects mostly. Chickens are in my blood though so the interest is still there. The Modesto show was great & I got to see several chicken lovin' friends & had a great time. Some of us carried it over to my house after the show & got to visit even longer & have dinner together. I think the girls, Jules & Dyann, want to have the party here again if there's enough interest. It is always so much fun. So as the weather improves we can talk more about that.

Hi There,

so your Pita Pinta lay more cream color eggs? I'm confused as some I've seen on the breed page look medium brown . i thought they where supposed to be tinted like these to maybe a slightly more cream color but am unsure. all I saw on website page for the standard was not white

Back
Top Bottom