California - Northern

Cocks can breed well into their teens if they live that long. I've heard stories of fertile twenty year old broodcocks from certain gamefowl keepers, although whether or not I believe them is another story.

Whether or not they are useful for breeding depends on their quality and what the buyer wants. If they are from quality bloodlines (bred to the APA Standard of Perfection) they will probably be rather easy to rehome, when advertised as quality breeding birds. But if they are simple hatchery stock fowl, they are only of use in breeding crossbreeds and in hobby operations, provided they have some desired quality, such as beautiful plumage or being of a high production laying breed.

Thanks QueenMisha! This information is really helping. Assuming they are hatchery stock fowl, but now I am learning the questions to ask her!

what part of Sacramento if your on the east side closer to El Dorado County there is a homesteader page on Facebook or you could post them on the 530 Poultry Facebook Page . I never have a issue getting homes for mine . Of course people like rare and Penedesenca are rare but many people post Roosters on there and have luck. As long as your not selling them you are usually ok.

She is in Arden Park, but could travel to El Dorado to drop off, so I will check out those FB pages you suggested. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom