California Qail Questions..

Quote:
Huh? Goodness, you Quail forum people are harsh! I have been breeding assorted Pheasants and Quail for the past eight years or so, I know very much about, and educate strongly against, the keeping of quail with chickens. If the way I have done things has worked fine for the past eight years, why would something happen in the next week or two?
And where are you getting that I keep Gamebirds with Poultry?

Oh, and by "Do you hardcore keepers of these know if they are real sensitive or not?" I am meaning the Californias.. the species this thread is about.. not gamebirds in general.

Well the idea with pigeons isn't the best, how will you feed both species? The thing about tracking chicken poop/mud in is not too good. The disease spreads through droppings.

I set two pans of feed in.. the qails eat what they are familiar with (quail pellets) and the pigeons eat what they are familiar with (specially mixed imported grains). If/when they eat some of each other's, it doesn't hurt them..

Do you raise both bobwhite and california? Do you keep any chickens?

I raise bobwhites and gambels and seramas I have the chickens about 50 feet away and downwind most days LOL prevailing wind here is Nor'easter
smile.png
my routine is to work on my gamebird chicks first then the gamebird adults then the chickens just the way I do things. I live in a bog marsh swamp and disease transfer is a real possibility think 60% +++ RH almost year round that you have been lucky so far good on ya I hope you luck holds out
smile.png
for your birds sake .

I have had all of those at one point in time, some very briefly and some for quite a while. So do you tell your birds well quail you eat this and pigeons here is your feed. Oh, and quail shouldn't eat pellets.

No, not at all. Like I said in my post, they eat what they are most familiar with. And if gamebird pellets arent for gamebirds, what are they for?

Quail shouldn't eat a full sized pellet(really small ones okay for adults), and just because they are familiar with it does not mean they eat just it. There is a mini pellet or something like that people sell, but I have never seen a big pellet in game bird feed.

Quote:
Ok.. this is exactly what I needed! Thanks! Are your pens all open? Do you have very many chickens?

Quote:
Well then I guess the pelleted gamebird feed I am refering to is the one made for gamebirds!
wink.png
It is shaped like chick pellets.

And there is nothing in pigeon feed that is bad for quail, so I am not sure why you are even mentioning it? If anything, pigeon feed is better for them to get some of!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom