California Quail Incubation HELP!

mdibb

Hatching
May 21, 2021
Hello! I have a batch of 12 California Quail. It is my first time hatching quail. I've monitored their development by checking them with a candler and everything seemed to be developing great (I stopped candling about a week ago in oder for them to prepare for the lockdown period). We are now on day 24 and I don't see any signs of pipping and I'm nervous to check them because I know how fragile this lockdown period is. Is there a way I can check to see if they are still alive without taking them out of the incubator? Is 24 days common for California quail? How much longer should I wait before I call it?

Personally, I'm hatching California quail and I try to not candle them unless I'm super excited. I don't know if taking them out and candling will reduce the hatch rate, but I still try to avoid it. You probably already have your answer and I'm sorry if they didn't hatch. It's always very disappointing when eggs don't hatch. If you want, tell us what your process was so we can figure out if there's something in your process that caused this to happen. What humidity were you running during incubation and then in lockdown?

One has actually hatched today! Day 26. It’s hopping around and looking healthy. I’m honestly shocked that it hatched this late!

During incubation I kept the humidity around 50 with the temperature at 99.5. During the lockdown I bumped it up to about 70 and left the temperature the same. Any tips you have for the future are more than welcome! As I said I’m a first timer!

I’ll let you know if more hatch.

One has actually hatched today! Day 26. It’s hopping around and looking healthy. I’m honestly shocked that it hatched this late!

During incubation I kept the humidity around 50 with the temperature at 99.5. During the lockdown I bumped it up to about 70 and left the temperature the same. Any tips you have for the future are more than welcome! As I said I’m a first timer!

I’ll let you know if more hatch.
Congrats! I'm glad you at least had one hatch! From what you're saying it sounds like you're doing what you're supposed to. Though I've heard people say you need to keep your incubator temp at 101 for still air incubators (assuming you have one). But two or three degrees in fluctuation isn't a huge problem. They say low humidity can cause a late hatch, but I think you were doing the humidity right. The most realistic guess in my mind is either old eggs or poor breeding stock used to make the eggs you got. Where did you get your eggs from?

Congrats! I'm glad you at least had one hatch! From what you're saying it sounds like you're doing what you're supposed to. Though I've heard people say you need to keep your incubator temp at 101 for still air incubators (assuming you have one). But two or three degrees in fluctuation isn't a huge problem. They say low humidity can cause a late hatch, but I think you were doing the humidity right. The most realistic guess in my mind is either old eggs or poor breeding stock used to make the eggs you got. Where did you get your eggs from?
Thank you! Well I’m glad to hear I didn’t mess up too bad. I ordered them from a breeder on EBAY, and it took them a while to ship. Next time I won’t be ordering from EBAY. Maybe just a rookie mistake on my part.

Thank you! Well I’m glad to hear I didn’t mess up too bad. I ordered them from a breeder on EBAY, and it took them a while to ship. Next time I won’t be ordering from EBAY. Maybe just a rookie mistake on my part.
Ebay isn't the worst but it definitely be a gamble unless you have good prior experience with the seller. It's really tempting though cause often the eggs on there are cheaper. Purely poultry sells 12 valley quail eggs for 80 dollars, which I think is a bit much. But you get a little more peace of mind knowing it's from a good source. But yeah your process sounds pretty good actually. Probably better than my first hatches. lol. I've also taken the Ebay gamble with duck eggs and got duds, sadly. But my current hatch is from Ebay and I know I got a few developing. So it can just be luck sometimes.

Good to know. Thanks for your help and the insight!
Hi, I’m hatching California quail eggs and was wondering when the normal day to hatch on is (given perfect eggs/environment). I️ also was wondering when am I️ supposed to put the eggs in lockdown?

Hi there!

Found this thread while looking for answers on what to do for a solitary California quail chick. Similar to you we incubated for the first time and only had one hatch. Curious to hear an update on how things went for you and any issues or good tricks you might be able to share. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom