California-Southern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Fuzzbutt, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Rockydogs

Rockydogs New Egg

Nov 17, 2012
    Wow...didn't think I would find anyone in Ventura. I'm in Oxnard.

2. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA

:welcome from Hacienda Hts! Subscribe to this thread, we always have something cooking as far as meet-ups etc. Right now is slow time till spring... :)

3. Hi Froggiesheins! I also live in Hacienda Heights and want to get two or three quiet, gentle layers. But I am having a hard time finding the city ordinances for 91745...is it okay to have them and how many may we keep? I'm on a 10k sqft lot near Colima and Hacienda. Any suggestions on a breed that might fit my requirements? I want to purchase them a few months old as I don't have the time to dedicate to chicks...as much as I'd love to! Still in the research phase, but I grew up in La Habra Heights with horses and livestock, we just never had chickens. I'm excited to get into this!! :D Thanks for any info/advice you can provide!

4. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA

Hi mousecheese :welcome! Believe it or not HAcienda Heights is zoned for unlimited asmounts of hens and it used to be unlimited roos BUT I THINK [haven't asked the city yet] it is 3 roos now.
    As for gentle, Orpingtons are always a good choice. I am unsure if Silkies are good layers, but they are gentle too. There really are alot of breeds that are good layers and sweet. TONS of places in Norco to get older "chicks" that can be outside 24/7. I can also point you in other directions if you like......sue

5. Oh! That's great news! Didn't want to get in the thick of it if they weren't legal. The area still has some horse property and rural lots so I had a good guess it was ok. I'm gonna get the coop and rest of the set up then I'll make my decision for which breed. I'm gonna have lots of questions, I will take you up on the offer for some direction! Thanks Sue.
    Margie

6. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA

We are very lucky to have this nice zoning.....I am always happy and more than willing to help when it comes to chickens. I am also the organizer of the meet-ups that happen 2Xs a year in Norco. I also do alot of rescuing and rehoming of chickens.
    When building your coop/run make SURE it is alot bigger than for 2-3 hens BECAUSE once to get a couple it will turn into 10 in no time! hee hee
    There is one gal that lives in HH and she has about 100 chickens, that amount you can't hide...

7. I read that you just had your get together, bummed I missed that! But it gives me some time to get a coop and supplies ready. I want to be prepared to enjoy my little clucks!

8. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA

Do you have a plan for your coop/run? Because of where you live, make sure they will be safe from feral cats/coyotes/possums and hawks. You might not see them now but once they find out you have an open air snackbar.......Just giving you a heads up on that....:old

9. We have all of those critters!! I have a covered BBQ area up against the backside of the house that will need some re-working to be a nice coop with enclosed run...would be totally safe and enclosed when done with wire mesh. What do you think of Eglu enclosures? I love the Cube version...expensive but very sturdy and safe when they're enclosed. I have a nice backyard and garden for supervised free ranging.

10. birdmaniac3000

birdmaniac3000 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    los angeles
    if anyone is interested i am selling 6 old english game bantam hens of different colors for cheap $10 they are already laying eggs and are somewhat tame

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by