California-Southern

Anyone in
Hi guys, I live in the San Diego and i recently hatched 8 coturnix quail. They are all about 4 weeks old now. I love them so much but unfortunately I am unable to keep them. If anyone is interested in them please let me know!!!
Did you try posting them on crag list?

Haven't been on in s while..but YES!!! Newcastle's quarantine is still going and expanding! At this point, it would be wise to protect your flock and not allow birds in or out of your property. Just not worth the risk of losing your ENTIRE flock over adding a few new ones. It's a sad day when they come to euthanize all your birds because you contracted the virus OR are unfortunate enough to live within a specified radius of a current case

Screenshot_20190403-095246_Drive.jpg

As much as I agree that info on Newcastle's needs to be taken seriously in California I don't think I would attend a conference with a Foster Farms representative in attendance. Foster Farms recently had to destroy all their birds in So Calif because of Newcastle's and I would get the eebie-jeebies attending a conference where someone is representative of an area that was recently destroyed because of Newcastles. I'd stay the heck as far away from the conference as I could LOL! It's too bad they didn't just video conference it rather than have actual bodies in attendance since they must be chicken owners/representatives themselves and how can the spread be halted with conferences going on? All it will take is just ONE person with the virus on them to spread it to other owners to take home to their birds. I get the eebie-jeebies just going to a feed store where other poultry owners shop -- I stocked up on feed last time I shopped so I don't have to return there for several months -- Just sayin'!

As much as I agree that info on Newcastle's needs to be taken seriously in California I don't think I would attend a conference with a Foster Farms representative in attendance. Foster Farms recently had to destroy all their birds in So Calif because of Newcastle's and I would get the eebie-jeebies attending a conference where someone is representative of an area that was recently destroyed because of Newcastles. I'd stay the heck as far away from the conference as I could LOL! It's too bad they didn't just video conference it rather than have actual bodies in attendance since they must be chicken owners/representatives themselves and how can the spread be halted with conferences going on? All it will take is just ONE person with the virus on them to spread it to other owners to take home to their birds. I get the eebie-jeebies just going to a feed store where other poultry owners shop -- I stocked up on feed last time I shopped so I don't have to return there for several months -- Just sayin'!
Good Point! But who knows maybe they will make everyone shower in and out of the conference :clapI used to work on feeder and water equipment on turkey farms in MN, also hog operations. There were hog farms where we had to shower in AND out of each barn, also each barn had it's own tool box, my tools stayed in the truck. It was a real PITA and if you were scheduled for one of these farms, which there were several it was an all day thing or a half day and it was always first thing you did. The turkey farms only required shower in for the brooder barns,but they did have several shoe baths you had to use on the way n to any other barns.

Good Point! But who knows maybe they will make everyone shower in and out of the conference :clapI used to work on feeder and water equipment on turkey farms in MN, also hog operations. There were hog farms where we had to shower in AND out of each barn, also each barn had it's own tool box, my tools stayed in the truck. It was a real PITA and if you were scheduled for one of these farms, which there were several it was an all day thing or a half day and it was always first thing you did. The turkey farms only required shower in for the brooder barns,but they did have several shoe baths you had to use on the way n to any other barns.

If Foster Farms and big poultry businesses have such great bio-security measures than why did Foster Farms have to euthanize their entire farm here in the southland? See what I'm sayin'? Just never know....

If Foster Farms and big poultry businesses have such great bio-security measures than why did Foster Farms have to euthanize their entire farm here in the southland? See what I'm sayin'? Just never know....
Oh I agree, I was being somewhat sarcastic with the shower comment. But I digress, I don't care who you are or where you live here, the fact of the matter is, wild birds can spread the disease. Going to your local feed store can also. There are things you can do to lessen the risk but unless you enclose your entire property with bird netting to keep out the wild birds, but even then it could sneak in some way or another

Oh I agree, I was being somewhat sarcastic with the shower comment. But I digress, I don't care who you are or where you live here, the fact of the matter is, wild birds can spread the disease. Going to your local feed store can also. There are things you can do to lessen the risk but unless you enclose your entire property with bird netting to keep out the wild birds, but even then it could sneak in some way or another

If bird netting helped I'd figure a way to do it in a heartbeat -- but bird poop wet enough will seep right through even the finest netting! I used very super-fine bridal net tulle to cover my raised garden beds but find wild bird poops all over the place anyway! I don't even leave feed out because of the little wild pests! Every year it seems like some pestilence is attacking our flocks!!!

Back
Top Bottom