California-Southern

I love Cesar Milan's philosophies. It's not the animal that needs the training, It's us. What kind of dog do you have? Is it a herder? I have two dogs, one is a Yorky and the other is a Rottweiler shepherd mix. Both are fantastic dogs and mind very well. It has taken a lot of work to break the behavior, but it truly is been well worth it ! Never take your eyes off your dog when the chickens are around! As Cesar would say" be the pack leader". Good luck and keep me posted!

Our dog is a mini pin mix that we got from a rescue group when he was a year and a half. He is so sweet with kids and has always been very obedient, so it totally shocked us when he killed the chicks. We keep the chickens in the coop when he is outside and we lock him in the house when we let the chickens out. This has been working just a pain.

Our dog is a mini pin mix that we got from a rescue group when he was a year and a half. He is so sweet with kids and has always been very obedient, so it totally shocked us when he killed the chicks. We keep the chickens in the coop when he is outside and we lock him in the house when we let the chickens out. This has been working just a pain.

Min Pins, Jack Russells, etc, as well as big breeds like Poodles, Rotts, Border Cols, Sheps, Pits, etc, are highly active breeds mentally and physically. They aren't your docile English Bulldog and need stimulation. What better way to be stimulated than being around spooky fluttery birds! This is why the usual family pet is not the best dog around a flock. Family pets and trained guardians are two separate categories. I believe in trained flock/herd breeds around chickens. They may be standoffish and/or tolerate being a family pet but their primary function is guarding home/poultry/livestock from foreign threats.

Point in reference - friends of ours have a Russian Ovcharka - a rare breed in the U.S. but there are some breeders here in the States. The Ovcharka is a big fluffy creature that looks like a bear but has the sweetest nature around family members which is probably why it has been the favourite of sheep herders for centuries. Gentle yet protective of anything that belongs on the property - friends, parents, children, or other pets/farm animals. I watched her take a stance at a little visiting Jack rabbit that bounded into her yard. She went up to it slowly not to scare it and fixed her attention on the little bunny as it ate the grassy lawn. She knew it didn't belong there yet had the good instinct to know it wasn't doing harm. I called to her, she looked up, left the bunny, and instantly came at my call - an intensely instinctual sense she knew to leave the non-threatening bunny and come to an obedience command. I puppy-sat that Ovcharka for 7 days and she never attacked the bunny as it visited every day. On the other hand when I puppy-sat my DD's Pit who is also a sweet family pet ran to an Oppossum inside the fence and fixated her attention on it - she was obedience trained (Cesar Milan and other visiting trainers in the $1000's) so I used the command to call her which always works but not when she was fixated on the other small animal. Rather than coming when called the nature of her particular breed went into attack mode instead and decimated the 'Possum to shreds! Sometimes a breed is just what it is.

We've had many dog breeds over the years and some are just better at certain serious jobs while others are just pets. Don't laugh but there are actually dogs that could be born with personality and/or psychological disorders that no training and only medication can control. Many don't think it possible that this happens to animals. I believe it just watching the different personalities within the same breed of chickens we've owned through the years!

My SFH broody's eggs are due to hatch the 27th and 28th. I just got a crazy chicken lady idea that maybe I could stick some chicks under her to raise.

Specifically, I want a LF Cochin. Other desirables are a Brabanter and a Spitzhauben. Do y'all know of any SoCal breeders (clean, preferably NPIP) who may have these breeds available? I'm in north OC, near the LA county border. Thanks!!

Hey, anyone around the Simi Valley area have a super broody hen for sale. I'm looking to get my hands on a power house mama ;)

I'm looking for a home for our 3 young hens, one of which produces green eggs. They are 1 yr and 1/2 yr old. They have been free range, (meaning our backyard). I'm in the San Fernando Valley. If someone is interested, please let me know. I'm a Cal Poly SLO gal too.

I'm looking for a home for our 3 young hens, one of which produces green eggs.  They are 1 yr and 1/2 yr old.  They have been free range, (meaning our backyard).  I'm in the San Fernando Valley.  If someone is interested, please let me know.  I'm a Cal Poly SLO gal too.

What breed? And why are you giving them up?

Located on boarder of Riverside County and San Diego County in Temecula :) we have three 5month old Rhode Island Red hens, two Ameraucana chicks, one Silkie chick, one Gold Laced Cochin Bantam chick, & one Barred Rock chick. I'm looking for one Olive Egger and one Dark Chocolate egg layer (Maran, Welsummer, Barnevelder) either chick or adult??? If anyone has any suggestions on where to buy these please help

Located on boarder of Riverside County and San Diego County in Temecula
smile.png
we have three 5month old Rhode Island Red hens, two Ameraucana chicks, one Silkie chick, one Gold Laced Cochin Bantam chick, & one Barred Rock chick. I'm looking for one Olive Egger and one Dark Chocolate egg layer (Maran, Welsummer, Barnevelder) either chick or adult??? If anyone has any suggestions on where to buy these please help

No chickens right now .... but from me a belated
welcome-byc.gif
from San Diego High desert... close to Mexico.

deb

Back
Top Bottom