California-Southern

Hey everyone!

Gosh, so my Splash Isbar would just NOT stop yapping! Peeping all day and night. I had no idea what was wrong since the brooder thermometer read a comfy 90 degrees. Their brooder is also set up so that the light concentrates in one corner so that it's "hot" there, fades to warmth, then there is shade from the heat. Eating, pooping, and running around just fine! Vivacious little buggers. I had literally no idea what was wrong until I read somewhere that someone's chick forgot where the water was. Mine couldn't possibly be that dense.. I stand corrected. All three chicks completely forgot where the water was and I had to dip their beak in water where they all drank as if I've been a crazy abusive mother who refuses to let her babes drink. After they all took about 5 mouthfuls, the peeping finally stopped. As the brooder is propped up in two chairs in my room.. it is FINALLY peaceful! On the bright side, my little experiment need not be prolonged for an answer. I have concluded that where the brooder is placed is CRITICAL to how tame chicks will be. I believe I explained my experiment a bit but will go over it again.

Group 1: My very first chicks. Three Black Sex Links and a Barred Plymouth Rock that are now 9 weeks. When I first bought them from the local feed store, they were only a week old. I brood all my chicks in two 24 inch long x 18 inch wide boxes that have one end cut off and are taped together with duct tape now since this is what I did with the first group. I add bird netting on top when they get older and start to fly. This brooder was left inside the house in my hallway on a table. The area has medium traffic. The chicks were handled daily and from an early age given life mealworm/cricket treats using tweezers to tame. They used to fall asleep on our laps and in our hands as babies. These four grew up to be the sweetest chickens are act like dogs! They come when called and fight for lap space where they love to nap. It's annoying sometimes because they follow me everywhere and if I'm bending over to do yard work, will all try to jump on my back. They LOVE attention and I love to give it to them!

Group 2: After group 1 was about 4 weeks, I moved them to a larger brooder and used their old brooder for these chicks. They are all various ages with the oldest being 7 weeks and the youngest 2 weeks 4 days. This group consists of: Silkies, an Australorp, two Easter Egger's, an Ameraucana/Araucana? (more on that below), a Cuckoo Marans, and a Silver Laced Wyandotte. the Silkies and Ameraucana/Araucana were from a breeder while the rest were from a feed store. Everything was the same as the first group (handling/treats/etc.) except that their brooder was placed in my spare room on the floor which has little to no traffic. Besides when I handled them, gave them treats, fed them, changed their bedding - they did not see humans. I also noticed that with their brooder on the floor, every time I walked over to them, they would be tremendously scared because I towered over them. These breeds are known for being some of the friendliest and most docile but they will not come near me. Not even if I have treats. They all scream bloody murder and run away from me. Group 1 is their own flock and Group 2 is a completely separate flock. Group 2 hates all humans.

Group 3: I decided to finally put down some money and buy quality chicks from a reputable breeder. I also wanted some unique breeds to add to my flock/help conserve. As most of you know, I ended up ordering from Secret Hill Ranch. This is the group I've been posting tons of pictures about - my Cream Legbar (Rees line), French Lavender Marans (Union Hill Farm lines), and Splash Isbar (1st and 2nd Greenfire Farm imports and Union Hill Farm lines). They are young and only a week old. Handling and treat time is the same as the two previous groups. The only different variable is that their brooder is propped up on two chairs in a corner of my room. Of course this is very high traffic. Especially since I've grown really close to my younger sister and have asked her to move in this room with me. These chicks are already very, very tame. They seem to crave human contact and although I they were quiet for a good hour after I gave them water, started peeping again. When I approach them and hold them, they stop, then fall asleep in my hands. When I leave, it starts up again. Once they see me, they all run towards where I'm standing near the brooder and stop peeping. I'm not sure if this is a coincidence. They are already very tame!!

With all three groups, I tried to condition them to tolerate human contact with treats. All three groups took to it but eventually Group 2's fear over came them. As mentioned, the only different variable was brooder placement. I may have to experiment with more groups before I can confirm this. For now, I lean towards brooder placement but it is not absolute. Just something to consider to those that may want tamer birds.

About the Ameraucana/Araucana thing.. So I bought this little Blue chick from Chickens Galore in Norco. I forgot if it was an Ameraucana or Araucana but I know for sure it is not an Easter Egger as he sold those as well, but in a different pen. A few days ago, I was wondering why this chick just looked so weird to me and I noticed it had no tail feathers. When I inspected it aka literally using a finger to poke the flesh above it's fecal opening, I was shocked to find there was no bone there! It was like a squishy hole. That's when the "rump-less" thing came to mind and I google some pictures. It looks like that! My other birds all have a triangle like tail but that chick literally has nothing there.

^ This is probably a stupid question and I honestly know the answer but just in case, it's not possible for the tail bone to develop later, is it? So this means that this chick is "rump-less"/"tail-less" correct? Does that mean it has Araucana blood? Or could it be an Ameraucana?

Also, here are the "three stooges" on Day 6:

^ My sweet little Cream Legbar, Eden.

^ My loud mouth Splash Isbar, Iris.

^ My narcoleptic French Lavender Marans, Esmé.

I love these three so much. It's not the fact that I spent so much on them.. or that they're breeds that I've wanted since I first started keeping chickens a month and 2 weeks ago.. but they are all just so tame! They hop right onto my hand when I put it in the brooder.
love.gif

Apologies for the lengthy post!

Here's some sleepy chicks to make up for it!
wink.png

Hi Jane,

note the width of the tail feathers.

w.

How could I not?! They are so beautiful. Still working on that with my breeding groups, had to go look again after your post =)

just an fyi - to anyone who would like to see a lot of beautiful feathers - Ventura Poultry Show, Bash at the Beach, Nov. 7 & 8

Last edited:
Walt that is a lovely hen....  Yep Good food I dont feed anything medicated nor supplement with more than leftovers from dinner.   and if the feed has bugs in it more protien for the birds.

My Grandpa was a share cropper.  Dad taught me just the philosophy.  I guess that amounts to  paying attention to   Good food   Good water   and good shelter.      Grandpa used to brood chicks in a container that had a tin bottom and was filled with blow sand from the desert.  Bout three or four inches worth...  and he heated with Kerosene lanterns...  his own invention.

With the guinea fowl though did use game bird starter  Higher protien because they grow FAST.  And because they are primarily bug eaters I supplemented their adult feed with catfish chow.  But once they were adults they got what everyone gets...  flock raiser.

Just like horses when you see a someone tasting someone elses poo....  there is good a reason for that.   and it involves flora and fauna in the gut.  also helps inoculate for other things. 

Same pilosphy for failure to thrive...  best to let em pass or cull them. 

deb

I have done the same thing, feed non medicated, non GMO and they free range as well as table scraps and veggie cuts from the day. I still get some problems, I use DE and have VetRx on hand, I also have an egg booster electrolyte and probiotic granular water mix! I still get some issues here n there! I clean out the nesting houses and the poo from the tops from the nightly roosting, use straw for the floor and we still get concerns once in a while! Perhaps we need to do something more! I love raising them, it's not a lot of work once you know what to expect, but sometimes it can be tedious if a hen or roo seems ill or starts acting funny.
Kudos, your girl sure is pretty! I do not breed specifically, perhaps I should but for now I have a mix of girls and 3 main Roos!

I am looking for a home for my two bantams and a buff Orpington. Bantams are two years old and buff has just started laying. I am about 30 miles east of Los Angeles in the San Gabriel valley. We are moving and cannot have chickens in new home. Let me know if you are interested.

If you can't find someone closer, we have a bantam flock and a large fowl flock with three Buff Orpingtons; your ladies would be welcome here. We're in Redlands, off the 10 freeway.

I am looking for a home for my two bantams and a buff Orpington. Bantams are two years old and buff has just started laying. I am about 30 miles east of Los Angeles in the San Gabriel valley. We are moving and cannot have chickens in new home. Let me know if you are interested.

Please can you post pictures of them, I know there are homes for them :thumbsup

Thanks for everyone who helped with serama sources. I want to OC Seramas yesterday and my dad picked out 3 cuties for his birthday! My stepmom tried to limit him to 2. Lol. FAIL! I knew he really wanted 3, and he was grinning ear to ear when I said he should have as many as he wanted. (But honestly, if he did get what he really wanted, I know he'd get 2 trios and other birds, but alas, he can only have little ones on his property.)

Kate of OC Seramas was wonderful! It was a little crowded with her set up, but she's in the process of moving to a bigger place (yay!). She was very helpful and patient. Would definitely go back to her if Dad wanted more Seramas. She's definitely higher priced than people selling on CL, but I think the price is worth her reputation and the quality of her birds. the only thing I would say is that because she has so many birds, they can't possibly be handled as much, so if anyone is looking for pets, you'll have to spend a little time bonding with your birds and earning their trust. This is not a complaint. Just a fact one should be aware of. It's not feasible for a breeder to handle all their birds. She wasn't selling her chicks.

Anyway, as promised, here are the pics. The birds are a little afraid of me because they don't know me yet. I'm babysitting them for a week, so I'm going to try to get them more comfortable with people before my dad gets back from his trip.

Thanks for everyone who helped with serama sources. I want to OC Seramas yesterday and my dad picked out 3 cuties for his birthday! My stepmom tried to limit him to 2. Lol. FAIL! I knew he really wanted 3, and he was grinning ear to ear when I said he should have as many as he wanted. (But honestly, if he did get what he really wanted, I know he'd get 2 trios and other birds, but alas, he can only have little ones on his property.)

Kate of OC Seramas was wonderful! It was a little crowded with her set up, but she's in the process of moving to a bigger place (yay!). She was very helpful and patient. Would definitely go back to her if Dad wanted more Seramas. She's definitely higher priced than people selling on CL, but I think the price is worth her reputation and the quality of her birds. the only thing I would say is that because she has so many birds, they can't possibly be handled as much, so if anyone is looking for pets, you'll have to spend a little time bonding with your birds and earning their trust. This is not a complaint. Just a fact one should be aware of. It's not feasible for a breeder to handle all their birds. She wasn't selling her chicks.

Anyway, as promised, here are the pics. The birds are a little afraid of me because they don't know me yet. I'm babysitting them for a week, so I'm going to try to get them more comfortable with people before my dad gets back from his trip.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! They are adorable :thumbsup It won't take you long to get them eating out of your hands and for them to train you...ENJOY!

Back
Top Bottom