California-Southern

Great daddy genes! Who are the moms? Wonderful mix of colors and fluff!! What region are you in?

Thanks. We are at the LA/OC border in La Habra. Neighboring cities of La Mirada, Whittier, Fullerton.

I put in 1-2 eggs from a few of my 16 hens. The hatched babies include eggs from Golden Cuckoo Marans, Swedish Flower, Euskal Oiloa (Basque), Lavender Ameraucana, Black Australorp, bearded EE, and Light Brahma. I also hatched Spitzhauben mix eggs I got from a chicken friend (but I'm keeping those babies). I put leg bands on all the babies, so I can tell who's who! I can't keep up otherwise. :)

The 2 big fat yellow ones in the pictures are babies from my Basque. Their mom lays 70g Jumbo eggs!

Last edited:
Ughh i have not only leg mites. But lice on my chickies as well. I got frontline for the lice. But is there something i can put in there water to treat the leg mites? My girls have been free ranging since were very slowly redoing there pen and coop. I posted this in the proper thread but wondered what my fellow californias do.

Ughh i have not only leg mites. But lice on my chickies as well. I got frontline for the lice. But is there something i can put in there water to treat the leg mites? My girls have been free ranging since were very slowly redoing there pen and coop. I posted this in the proper thread but wondered what my fellow californias do.
. Can you wash legs gently with warm water and the dust legs and coop and nests with DE? My hen's legs looked okay but I noticed little bugs on the wooden eggs in her nest. I dusted her and the coop with DE and all bugs were gone within a day or so.

frontline should get them too. but a coating of vasaline is good.... suffocates them.

make sure you retreat as recommended.

deb

I'm in pest control, DE is good for prevention and elimination. For elimination sprinkle it everywhere they are going to be I also can be used to naturally deworm chickens 3x a year

While im at it. What causes chickens to walk...well like there drunk. Stumbling around. I have two that are in varrying stages of said drunkedness. One worse off than the other as in i doubt my red chicken will make it threw the night.

I use Manna Pro products because they are organic and can be used as often as necessary in both coop and on the chickens (directions on label). There's Manna Pro Poultry Protector which I use on coop perches and crevices, and on chickens and even chicks for lice. Manna Pro also makes a spray product for mites as well. There are several ways to handle scaly mites but I prefer a spray treatment preventative as opposed to oil or vaseline baths for the legs that can mess up and stain feathers. I personally don't use DE because of all the warnings on the label to wear goggles, mask, and gloves before handling and if it's that dangerous for humans then how can I put goggles, mask, and gloves on my chickens or pets? Plus my friend used DE and said it was not effective for getting rid of any insects in any fast manner if at all. Choose the best method for your situation and your coop as well since chicks will need to be treated with follow-up treatments as the parasite eggs will hatch later starting the cycle all over again. I used Poultry Protector on juveniles we received in a shipment that had lice. I sprayed the two birds and overnight the lice were gone. However, I continued spraying a couple more days following directions. Then I followed-up a week later again with the treatment just to be sure. Easy-peasy and effective and safe.
With no one agreeing about the use of DE this following article clinched it for me not to use it but all need to make their own choice:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/05/diatomaceous-earth-de-benefitrisk.html

Back
Top Bottom