California-Southern

Thank you!! Yes, I'm over the moon about them (clearly, lol!). I have been warned about chicken math. I may fall victim to it at some point, but I'm pretty limited in my space now. I AM planning to add a black copper marans and an olive egger to the flock but since I have no intention of processing any of the 3 that I have, I'm going to wait a couple of years to stagger their laying. Also I'm planning to have one of my 3 hatch and brood them so I figure it would be courteous to give them enough time to grow up and figure out all of the chicken ins and outs first before asking them to teach the babies. Of course... if I'm gonna add 2 to the flock, I really SHOULD add 3 since I wouldn't want to leave a singleton in case something happened to its buddy, which means I'd definitely need to order at LEAST 8 fertile eggs if I take hatch rate and hen/roo ratio into consideration... ;-D

See how naturally chicken math develops...

...and so it begins.... LOL!

I just got two marans from a breeder in Ramona. Will let you know how they lay once they start. They have some flaws, but he knew I wanted pets, not SQ.

My avatar is Grumpy Gilligan back when she was a pullet. She's still grumpy and looking a bit like a rat since she's picked on and someone picked out her beard! Can't wait for her to molt and go back to her normal fluffy grumpy self!
wink.png
she says "thank you" by the way. She's an Easter Egger from Cackle Hatchery. Of all the EEs I've seen, Cackle seems to have the best variety of colors. They ship to a feed store up here in north county in the spring if you want to drool over the rainbow of chicks.

Speaking of drooling, were you by chance looking at Secret Hills Ranch? They had some amazing looking birds and suddenly dropped out of chickens and went full time into horses
sad.png

I was going to check out a guy in Lakeside (East County Zoo) but wanted bigger pullets right away and found the Ramona guy the same day (All Things Chicken). I'll post with how they turn out. His place looked clean and the birds so far are clean and seem healthy but they're in lock down away from my others for a month at least.

And yes, totally fascinating! Not what I expected at all. I'm able to use parrot training techniques to train them with visual and audible commands. Freaks out people walking by when I call them each by name and have them fly up and land on my shoulder!
big_smile.png
the rooster has by far been the best to train. You can see him figure things out. So cool.

Cluck away! You aren't the only one
wink.png

Oh yes please let me know how they lay! I am planning to get hatching eggs from alchemist farm in Sebastapol, but local is always better! It's a lonnnnng way off for that though. Please post pics of your little marans!

No, I haven't heard of SHR I don't THINK.... This lady was a hobby breeder that Advertised on CL... Gail was her name. She didn't give a business name to me at all.

Okay, PUHLLLLEASE post videos of your chickens responding to commands! My BPR started flying to my shoulder a few days ago on her own accord and then pecked my eyeball... not to be hostile I don't think... she wasn't attacking me, she just gave my eyeball a decent peck (maybe I have shiny eyeballs???). It did no damage so, being me, I allowed her on my shoulder a couple more times to see if she would stop but she goes for my eye every time. :-( She's not allowed on my shoulder anymore, lol! To be fair, she pecks at EVERYTHING shiny... more so than the other two. She pecks at hinges and screws in the coop, pecks at my nail polish, if it's shiny she's givin' it a peck!

I must say, I knew that I would LIKE my chickens... I haven't met an animal yet that I don't appreciate at some level, but what I was NOT expecting is the level of receptivity, individuality and overall awesomeness of them. They are way more intelligent than I gave them credit for! I am LOVING getting to know them!

So glad to know I have fellow cluckers in my neck of the woods!!!
yippiechickie.gif

So I had to share this so I sent my middle son Connor out to the chicken coop to collect the eggs, & he comes back minutes later proclaiming "Guys we hit the mother load!" I look over and he has 4 eggs in is arms, & 2 in each pocket, & I just about lost it. In an attempt to get my 2 laying hens to use the other nesting boxes I bought 6 ceramic eggs and placed 1 in each of the nesting boxes. Oh it was a great laugh, he was so embarrassed.

So I had to share this so I sent my middle son Connor out to the chicken coop to collect the eggs, & he comes back minutes later proclaiming "Guys we hit the mother load!" I look over and he has 4 eggs in is arms, & 2 in each pocket, & I just about lost it. In an attempt to get my 2 laying hens to use the other nesting boxes I bought 6 ceramic eggs and placed 1 in each of the nesting boxes. Oh it was a great laugh, he was so embarrassed.

lol! That's great!!!
yuckyuck.gif

I tried to get a pretty picture of my sussex Mabel in the flowers but Chamois the faverolle kept getting in the way and then Derpy the aptly named phoenix rooster fell over backwards trying to reach the perfect piece of grass.

Chickens. Sigh.

Quick question: my ginormously fluffy EE rooster makes the coop look like he gets into a pillow fight with himself every night. we first noticed him dropping feathers about a month ago but now the property is a snowstorm of Nero feathers. I wasn't expecting a major molt until he was 18 months, which is October. Is he just molting early? Anything I should watch out for?

Hi all! I thought I'd introduce myself since I'm rather new to BYC and chicken keeping in general and I'm in San Diego! It's nice to see so many of my "neighbors" on here!

These are my 3 girls. I got them a couple of weeks ago and am head over heels! I have instantly become a card-carrying member of the crazy chicken lady club! :-D

Congrats on your new girls and welcome to the chicken world! It does take over your life..LOL!!!!

I tried to get a pretty picture of my sussex Mabel in the flowers but Chamois the faverolle kept getting in the way and then Derpy the aptly named phoenix rooster fell over backwards trying to reach the perfect piece of grass.

Chickens. Sigh.

LOL...seriously cracking up over your picture!!!
lau.gif
Your Mabel looks like she's wondering what Derpy's problem is..LOL!

Back
Top Bottom