CALIFORNIA The Whole State thread

Guess what kind I have in particular? My name gives it away, but yes big fat, broiler acting, Jersey Giants.
lol.png

I have others, but JG's are my favs. I L-O-V-E the Cuckoo variety, I wanted a Cuckoo BBDA, but they are just rare where I live. In 2010 I searched all around the PPBA Poultry show sale barn for one, but no luck. So I somehow ended up getting a pair of BBR Old English Games.

Now it's either give away several chickens to get more, or just pack em in! So I controlled my chicken addiction, and it was 26 chickens but downsized by 2 when we had a bobcat came.
Thanks! I have lots of Cuckoo's!

Last edited:
Guess what kind I have in particular? My name gives it away, but yes big fat, broiler acting, Jersey Giants. :lol:

I have others, but JG's are my favs. I L-O-V-E the Cuckoo variety, I wanted a Cuckoo BBDA, but they are just rare where I live. In 2010 I searched all around the PPBA Poultry show sale barn for one, but no luck. So I somehow ended up getting a pair of BBR Old English Games. 

Now it's either give away several chickens to get more, or just pack em in! So I controlled my chicken addiction, and it was 26 chickens but downsized by 2 when we had a bobcat came. 

What's a BBDA? A bobcat, wow that is some predator. I have 3 JG, they're hatchery bird, but still big. They're in with my ameraucana roosters, its funny to see 4lb rooster on a 10lb hen

BBDA= Belgian Bearded D'Anver. Well Bobcats are pretty common around here, no way to free range again! Down the road, one was carrying a dead white housecat, just a few weeks ago. My JG's have tempers to other breeds, my black Ameraucana, has 1 JG hen in his flock with his Light Brown Leghorns. She'll peck him if he doesn't offer her something to eat!

Just a little update on me. Went to the pain doctor on Monday and he said my back is very messed up (HELLO- I KNOW!). He said I am in the condition of someone that's 80 and he has never seen so much degeneration in someone my age. So he has two procedures that he thinks can help. I'm just waiting on insurance things to be approved. I am so bummed because he took me off work. I only had 16 days left but I couldn't handle it. I feel like I'm letting everyone down.
Doctor put me on morphine and Vicodin until I can get these procedures so I can't work taking those medications.
So I am hoping I get these done so I can go back for the last week.
Ugh!

How old is your Cuckoo Marans!

Can you post a picture of the Comb wattles and the back neck area(to look for hackle feathers). I think you can tell too by how dark they are, like the Barred Rocks.

Bye,

Ron
>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hi, I am totally bummed because I just know my Cuckoo Marans is a rooster. He hasn't crowed yet but I just have a gut feeling. No roosters in town :( it's my fav chicken.

How old is your Cuckoo Marans!

Can you post a picture of the Comb wattles and the back neck area(to look for hackle feathers). I think you can tell too by how dark they are, like the Barred Rocks.

Bye,

Ron
>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hi Ron, not sure of how old it is exactly but almost completely feathered out. As soon as I get off of work I will get some pictures and post them. No crowing yet. :)

Elizabeth

What a bummer.
sad.png

Ps-I live in Modesto as well.
Hi, sorry to hear about your back troubles, my husband has back problems too :(
I really like your Cuckoo Polish! They are really cute.

Elizabeth

P.S. someone in my neighborhood has a rooster, heard him crowing this morning haha. Thankfully it wasn't coming from my backyard.

Back
Top Bottom