CALIFORNIA The Whole State thread

Sorry you didn't do better. I had Aaron take a bunch of grown out roosters. They were my free loading free rangers & they did well but the quail didn't bring much. Everyone said there were a zillion pigeons there & they were running out of cages. Denny took birds in too. I wonder how she did????

there has been discussion on the Australorp thread about some mysterious Black Australorp Breeders hiding in California:

.they told us that during the heyday of the egg laying championships when australorp were setting record after record for egg laying, somone with deep pockets in USA imported all of those birds one by one..so the bloodlines were here and for a time america was proud to have them, the majority of that stock went to california..I know there is some very good stock out there, some went to north east USA mass was a stronghold..sometime later they dissappeared..dispersed out into lord knows where, one of the birds I have came from the mass flock..actually 2..there are still some in calif , those breeders are quiet and busy so you dont see of hear from them much but occasionally you do see them..a man in south Pa had some, I think tiger creek birds have that look but maybe they can tell us a little more about theirs

Does anyone her know where they are hiding?

Ron
The Australorps I just sold to SubstainableYieldPoultry.com Carrie Stroble in Arnold came from Bruce Sherman up in Pine Grove. She already had some of his stock & they do very well in the Western shows. He & his Dad have raised them for many years. I think he told me since his school days. I thinkhe goes to the breeder sale at J.S. West in Modesto in November. I know he provides alot of 4H birds.

No but I went and got a card reader that will read an SD or compact flash card.  I will have to get pics and see if they will upload to BYC.  The last pics I got, down loaded to my computer fine with the card reader but then I couldn't get them to post on BYC.  That could just be my terrible connection speed up here but I tried in town too where the connection was great and it didn't work there either. 

BYC may have been experiencing too many hits or something.  When I tried to upload them it said "just a moment" then froze.  I tried 3 times waiting up to 15 mins the last time but got that message again, then nothing. 

I'll try again tomorrow and see if the problem is fixed.   They are so cute and I'm really dying to show you all pics of them.  Keep your fingers crossed for me!
I hate to admit this but that is better than I did the last time I tried to sell roos.  I had some white crested black polish and I took them to a swap to sell.  Not only did I not sell even one but I had to pay a $5 donation to the folks running it to have them take them off my hands.     :rolleyes:

Have you tried compressing the pictures first? BYC compresses them to about 100kb after upload anyway, and digital cameras and cell phones save them with files any where from 1 to 3 mb. You can do it with Microsoft picture manager, just crop before compressing.

Sorry to hear about your guys sales problems, I just started to get rid of some roos. I have a massive barred EE that tried to mount a tiny silkie. I put the silkies in with my older chicks. I had one guy call today but he never showed

Since I'm making some more space, anyone have silver laced, white crest/black, or white polish eggs to sell?
I might also want some silkie eggs, I'd prefer central ca, near Fresno.

Sunny you win. LOL

Ya know, I figure if I don't have to feed them, it's still a plus. I used to really be hurt at times. Makayla saw the check and said "I knew we should have kept them." She's carried those 2 around since they were tiny chicks.

The closest I can find a new Pheonix is the Sanger area. I just really can't travel that direction right now. Speaking of travel. I really want to just jump in the car and head to Reno this weekend. Maybe next year. I just hate having to say that these days since Bill and I used to pass up so mach thinking there'd be next time.

Karen I can't believe the prices they get for pigeons at that place. Granted sometimes they go for next to nothing, but I watched a guy buy a whole set of cages, stuffed with them once for $9 a piece. They went nuts over those birds. Then the chickene came out and sold from $2 to $25. But that was crazy. There had to be something like 150 pigeons. And they were fighting over them. Amazing. Glad you did well. Hope Denny did too, but she always seems to do alright when I stay and watch the prices for them.

Think I'll try and sleep again. I jumped straight up froom a sound sleep a couple of hours ago and have no idea why. Gotta get Kayla to school in a few short hours. I also need to figure out what to do about the first post and I just haven't had the time or the energy to do it yet, but I will. Hope I catch up on new members and don't leave anyone out.

Quote:
Hi Karen,

I think it is funny that someone in NY thinks there is a secret hidden and secret source of Black Australorps here in CA. I plan in getting some of the Sherman hatching eggs either form Carrie or you if you still have them. You sold all of them?

Thank You!

Quote:
I use Photoshop, but you could use something like Paint Shop Pro. You have a Mac? iPhoto maybe?

I change the image size to 1024x whatever the other number defaults to from 40000. This make the file size a lot smaller--like 400k instead of 4 mb. I them save it as a jpg and let it compress at 8. You can compress lower, maybe 6. This will make a file that will upload faster. If I do not do this, even with fast Internet, it takes a long time to upload.

Sunny, you probably have Satellite or dial up? Both of those have terribly slow upload speeds.

Bye,

Ron

Sunny you win. LOL

Ya know, I figure if I don't have to feed them, it's still a plus. I used to really be hurt at times. Makayla saw the check and said "I knew we should have kept them." She's carried those 2 around since they were tiny chicks.

The closest I can find a new Pheonix is the Sanger area. I just really can't travel that direction right now. Speaking of travel. I really want to just jump in the car and head to Reno this weekend. Maybe next year. I just hate having to say that these days since Bill and I used to pass up so mach thinking there'd be next time.

Karen I can't believe the prices they get for pigeons at that place. Granted sometimes they go for next to nothing, but I watched a guy buy a whole set of cages, stuffed with them once for $9 a piece.  They went nuts over those birds. Then the chickene came out and sold from $2 to $25. But that was crazy. There had to be something like 150 pigeons. And they were fighting over them. Amazing.  Glad you did well. Hope Denny did too, but she always seems to do alright when I stay and watch the prices for them.

Think I'll try and sleep again. I jumped straight up froom a sound sleep a couple of hours ago and have no idea why. Gotta get Kayla to school in a few short hours. I also need to figure out what to do about the first post and I just haven't had the time or the energy to do it yet, but I will. Hope I catch up on new members and don't leave anyone out.

Sanger, that's where I live! Maybe we should work something out if I have to travel up that way again for eggs. I think I know the lady that is selling Phoenix chicks and Roos, I'm going to get some silkie eggs from her in about a month.

Have you tried compressing the pictures first? BYC compresses them to about 100kb after upload anyway, and digital cameras and cell phones save them with files any where from 1 to 3 mb. You can do it with Microsoft picture manager, just crop before compressing.
Yep. That was the first thing I tried. When I first joined BYC they didn't automatically resize photos when you uploaded them so you always had to resize them to their specs before uploading. Before we moved we had no problems. It's weird cause we had Verizon at the old place too and we had no issues. But I have tried for several days with no luck. Even went into town and tried, with 4 bars it still froze. I've posted to other sites and emailed pics from here and no issues there. I'm thinking it is a BYC issue cause I've heard others complaining of the same thing just recently. The bugs are still being worked out of the new platform I guess.
Sunny you win. LOL

Haha. You're right. Just lowering the feed bill is a huge savings. Hope you got some sleep for a change.
I use Photoshop, but you could use something like Paint Shop Pro. You have a Mac? iPhoto maybe?

I change the image size to 1024x whatever the other number defaults to from 40000. This make the file size a lot smaller--like 400k instead of 4 mb. I them save it as a jpg and let it compress at 8. You can compress lower, maybe 6. This will make a file that will upload faster. If I do not do this, even with fast Internet, it takes a long time to upload.

Sunny, you probably have Satellite or dial up? Both of those have terribly slow upload speeds.

Bye,

Ron

Well I never compress below an 8. Affects the picture quality too much but I did resize them and saved the copies as a much smaller jpeg as I explained in the above post. I use Photoshop as well. We are on Verizon and, although our signal is not very strong from the house here (even with a repeater), we get great reception in town. Yet I was still unable to upload to BYC from town. I did consider the satellite services offered up here but they are expensive (must purchase their equipment which is $400 or rent it for a ridiculous amount) and the reviews were terrible. High cost, terrible service? It was a no brainer to avoid that route.

So anyway, even though I saved the photos at a lower res (8 instead of 10) and a much smaller file size (way below what I used to upload all the time with no problems) the system still keeps freezing when I try to upload. I have tried so many times now that I've lost count. Sooooo frustrating!!!
he.gif

Last edited:
Kim I completely understand you not wanting to put off things that you really want to do! I really think you are teaching us all to quit putting off the good stuff for a day that may not ever come! We will commit to next year and plan it ahead of time so you don't miss it again. You can't do everything all at once.

OK today we went to one of the big Show and Shines that is held in downtown Reno and OMG! There were some beautiful machines out today!!!!! We have been here for over 7 years now and I attended a few Hot August Nights even before we moved here and I thought I'd seen most everything but today I saw an old T-bird convertible (I do have a weakness for the classic convertibles and especially T-birds) that seriously made my heart flutter... big time! I have never been drawn to a 2 seater cause I like going out with friends and can't picture myself in a 2 seater but... I'm in love! I can't help it! Never felt more than nostalgia and a deep appreciation for cars before this one! It is just like this one here http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...l&id=B47CF04DD2728E575787BE4AD6574877860177B9 but it is in a soft pale green instead. Not a minty green, just a nice soft green with just a hint of smoke and a super high gloss. AAAAHHHH!
love.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi Sunny,

Yes, I do not compress lower than 8. One thing I forgot and that you can do with Photoshop is change the DPI to as low as 90. Computer screens don't show more than that and it makes it hard for people that steal your pictures to print them. You should be able to get a nice viewable image down to 50k or so.

Probably a BYC problem since you already have compressed the images.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom