CALIFORNIA The Whole State thread

Just forwarding a message here. If there's a better thread for this, please feel free to pass it on. Thanks all!

I am trying to help CDFA locate a person in California who received a shipment of quail hatching eggs recently from a hatchery in Iowa that has been found to have high path avian influenza as of June 4. About 10 shipments were sent into California and CDFA needs to contact these purchasers as the eggs could carry the AI virus.

If any of you know a gentleman named Raul Roque in the Bay Area and have contact information for him, can you please let me know. He ordered about 200 eggs and they were shipped to a mail box company and not a home address.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Monica

Monica Della Maggiore
California Poultry Federation
California Poultry Health Board/NPIP
4640 Spyres Way, Suite 4
Modesto, CA 95356
(209) 576-6355

Hello,
Just joined today. Have been visiting for a few months now. We picked up 5 little chicks in June. Need to find a home for a Black Australorp male. Any ideas appreciated. We are in San Diego area.

Hello,
Just joined today. Have been visiting for a few months now. We picked up 5 little chicks in June. Need to find a home for a Black Australorp male. Any ideas appreciated. We are in San Diego area.

It is great to have you here!

Is your boy crowing? BA Hens have very large combs and wattles so they are often confused as roosters.

Check with a local feed store--they either take rooster back or will know of a place that will take them.

@dnitzman

Can you get a better picture of the comb and wattles?

At 13 to 14 weeks old, a BA cockerel should be crowing.

Do not give it away until it crows. If you get into week 22 without crowing, you may just get an egg.
Here are a couple pictures. The one is grainy because I used the zoom.

When we look at the feathers and compare to other birds we start to wonder about others being roosters too. Including one of the black sex links. Last night when we went to look after dark when they had settled a couple of them seemed to have curved (sickle) shaped tail feathers.

Here are a couple pictures. The one is grainy because I used the zoom.

When we look at the feathers and compare to other birds we start to wonder about others being roosters too. Including one of the black sex links. Last night when we went to look after dark when they had settled a couple of them seemed to have curved (sickle) shaped tail feathers.
No, black sex links are not going to become roosters--they look very different by gender at hatch.

cockerels\rooter will be barred:

BkSexLinkCkl.JPEG

pullets will be mostly black with some color at the neck:

Sexy2.JPEG

Your BA is not one that is hard to tell. The comb and wattles are a bit large for 14 weeks, but the chick could be older than you think. The blade of the comb does not go back as far as it would with a male.

Still, keep the chick until it either crows or lays an egg.

Odds are that it will lay an egg if it was sexed at the hatchery. They are wrong about 5% of the time.

Last edited:
Just forwarding a message here. If there's a better thread for this, please feel free to pass it on. Thanks all!

I am trying to help CDFA locate a person in California who received a shipment of quail hatching eggs recently from a hatchery in Iowa that has been found to have high path avian influenza as of June 4. About 10 shipments were sent into California and CDFA needs to contact these purchasers as the eggs could carry the AI virus.

If any of you know a gentleman named Raul Roque in the Bay Area and have contact information for him, can you please let me know. He ordered about 200 eggs and they were shipped to a mail box company and not a home address.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Monica

Monica Della Maggiore
California Poultry Federation
California Poultry Health Board/NPIP
4640 Spyres Way, Suite 4
Modesto, CA 95356
(209) 576-6355

Hi, did you ever find the shipment and/or confirm whether the eggs carried AI?

Hi - I don't know, as I was just forwarding the message from another thread. Hopefully someone talked to the right people. In any event, I haven't heard about any other breakouts, but then, I'm in New Jersey. We're all keeping out fingers crossed nothing happens this fall to affect the fall shows.

Back
Top Bottom