California Whites Not Laying

Cassiert

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
I have 3 California White chickens that I bought as chicks last year on May 14th. (I initially bought 4 and lost one in the late fall after a long battle with a prolapsed vent.) It is now almost year later and I still have no white eggs. I chalked lack of laying last year up to the fact that they would've started laying when the weather began getting very cold, so I figured they may not lay until spring. Other than that I have had no health issues. All of my other chickens are healthy and laying fine. They get plenty of water (sometimes with added manna pro apple cider vinegar), feed with added poultry booster, oyster shell, occasional scratch grain and mill worms. I did notice that their earlobe color more recently started changing to white. Am I just being impatient or am I doing something wrong? 😞

It is understandable that they didn't start laying last year since they didn't reach point of lay till late October and most birds will shut down by then, even young birds are affected by shorter day length. However, I would have expected them to start laying even at your latitude by March or April. Have you checked the space between their pelvic bones to determine if laying was imminent?
What is the protein % of the feed they are getting?
At what age did they start being fed layer feed last year?

I am having the same problem. My California White also hasn’t started laying yet, and she is 28 weeks old. My other hens are laying and they are other breeds that are supposed to start laying later. Did you ever find out what was up with yours? Did they start laying?

I ordered California White chicks from Hoover's last April. They started laying around August Stopped around November and started back in March. They are egg laying machines with between 90 to 100% daily laying. Awesome. I am in eastern North Carolina zone 8. Will always have California Whites from now on.

Back
Top Bottom