Hen Laying Weak Shelled Eggs

Give her the Calcium Citrate + D3 daily for a week. If you see improvement, then try a D3 water supplement to see if you can maintain the improved egg quality with the free choice calcium options.
Thank you! I appreciate all this help from @rosemarythyme ,@Saveria, and you, @BurbCoop! I am sure Bananito will make a speedy recovery from this bad eggshell stuff.

But when she is laying proper eggs again, when I sell her do I have to tell the person that she needs to have calcium citrate and D3 every day, or will it fix the problem and I won't have to do it again?

Thank you! I appreciate all this help from @rosemarythyme ,@Saveria, and you, @BurbCoop! I am sure Bananito will make a speedy recovery from this bad eggshell stuff.

But when she is laying proper eggs again, when I sell her do I have to tell the person that she needs to have calcium citrate and D3 every day, or will it fix the problem and I won't have to do it again?
The high dose of Calcium Citrate + D3 is just a short term thing to see if things improve or not. (see if things reset) You do not want to run her on a high dose long term as that can have serious long term and permanent side effects, actually making things worse. (too much calcium is bad)

If things do improve after one week, she may not need it again, best case, or she may require some sort of low dose supplement.

If you do sell her, definitely disclose that she has had egg quality issues up front and it is something the buyer will need to monitor.

If you do not see improvement, she most likely has something else going on and that should be disclosed as well so any new buyer does not breed her.

Last edited:

I would just tell them she had that issue in the past. Maybe you can even write down what you did for her, just so they can repeat it again in the future if she gets low again. That way she won't have as many reproductive issues, like getting egg bound, if the folks already know what to do when they spot it.

The high dose of Calcium Citrate + D3 is just a short term thing to see if things improve or not. (see if things reset) You do not want to run her on a high dose long term as that can have serious long term and permanent side effects, actually making things worse. (too much calcium is bad)

If things do improve after one week, she may not need it again, best case, or she may require some sort of low dose supplement.

If you do sell her, definitely disclose that she has had egg quality issues up front and it is something the buyer will need to monitor.

If you do not see improvement, she most likely has something else going on and that should be disclosed as well so any new buyer does not breed her.
Yeah. If there is something wrong with her eggshell gland or something, then I would just make soup of her. She's very aggressive anyway, and I will tell that to the buyer if she does pull through this. Thanks again for all the help :)

Yeah. If there is something wrong with her eggshell gland or something, then I would just make soup of her. She's very aggressive anyway, and I will tell that to the buyer if she does pull through this. Thanks again for all the help :)
There really needs to be a soup reaction, along with a few others 🍲😁
  • Soup
  • Cockerel
  • Pullet
  • Too Early
  • Not Sure
  • The Heck
  • More Ventilation
  • Congratulations
  • PBE, EE, BO, etc. etc.

Last edited:

Back