Californian quail incubation help and advice,

Discussion in 'Quail' started by major, Apr 7, 2012.

1. major

major Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2012
    I just put some Californian quail eggs in the incubator, Iv had a look on-line for time/temp/humidity do I just treat these eggs like normal Quail Eggs

Time for incubation: 23 days
    Temp: 99.5f
    Humidity: dry for 19 days then 65%

Is this right? Or am I way off ? If you could add any thing to help this hatch go well then please do,

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    California quail eggs are incubated just as Bobwhite quail are....99.5 degrees for 23 days. I have never dry hatched before, being that the humidity level of the air here in NM is quite dry. If you live in a humid area, than a dry hatch will do well. If not, then I would recommend humidity of 55% to 60% during incubation.

At day 20, eggs are stopped turning and the humidity is upped by 10%.

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I don't know about Californians in particular but I've noticed if I don't keep the humidity for my quails at about 30-40 during incubation the eggs get too dry.

4. major

major Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2012
    I just had a look and it 30% so I will put some water in if i remember from last time the humidity was around 45% then i up'd it to 50%-60% in the last 3 days

I only have 7 California's Eggs so Could I put some A&M Eggs in there at day 5 so then all the eggs will hatch 18days latter?

5. Sister Mary Michael

Sister Mary Michael Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Bridger MT
    I hatched a brood last year (first time) had the temp at 102 and humidity above 40%. We put 18 eggs in thinking we'd be lucky to get one or two. 13 hatched! Good luck with yours, let us know.

6. major

major Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2012
    I have a forced air incubator (octagon 20) am I better to bring the temp up to 102 then? I have it sat at 99.5 at the moment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by