Californian Rabbits - I got them! Woot!!!

MissPrissy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Forks, Virginia
After over a year of searching I finally got in touch with a breeder for Californian rabbits by contacting one person who led me to another person who led to another person etc. I took a 120 mile round trip this morning and brought home these registered beauties.

The trio is two does and a buck. The does are bred by other bucks. Perfect!

trio.jpg

Ponder - female 9 lbs - 1.4 yrs old

ponder.jpg

Amazing Grace "Mazie" - female 9 lbs - 1 yr old

amazinggrace.jpg

And Trip - male 8.75 lbs - 8 months

trip.jpg

The breeder took a lot of time with me. He explained so many things and allayed my nervousness at not having had rabbits since I was a child.

He even sent me home with 2 nest boxes so I wouldn't have to build or pay an inflated price for the metal ones.

Trip is the sweetest boy. He snuggles and cuddles and slept in my arms.

I am very happy with my choice
smile.png

My daughter raised some of those last year to show at the Yamboree in Gilmer, TX. She didn't place high enough to be in the sale, but she learned a lot. I bet she will place this year.

Are you going to sell them for meat rabbits? I am pondering the idea of raising Flemish Giants.

Congrats on the new addition to your evergrowing farm.

Quote:
What decided you on picking the california rabbit over another breed?

The Californian and New Zealand White are the two most common breeds used for meat production. (commercial meat production)

Just wondering. Are you going to put the feeders on the outside.? Easier to fill. That is a great breed for meat. I heard they have large litters.

Quote:
What decided you on picking the california rabbit over another breed?

The Californian and New Zealand White are the two most common breeds used for meat production. (commercial meat production)

I had American Whites when I was a kid, but they were pets.
smile.png
One of these days I'd like to try eating rabbit meat.

Back
Top Bottom