call duck breeding

Thanks...:frow...I definitely love my Birds and my Calls are not show Birds although absolutely loved little Ducks just the same...:wee....

You're welcome :) In some regards pet quality ones are better, you could say. Less trouble hatching for one, lol! And it's fun to keep a bunch of colors, too. That's what I do with my pet flock; keep a ton of colors. That's just not really feasible to do with exhibition Calls, really, since each color needs a separate pen and a lot of focus to keep everything correct.

So I've got my show birds, which all have to be separated by color and breeding stock selected carefully, and then the pet flock, in which I can keep whatever I feel like, including colors that aren't accepted yet, and don't have to select breeding stock rigorously. And it's always a surprise what I hatch, which is fun :)

Yes, the ACG is a double-harlequin gene.

This is the genetics of an abacot Drake: M+M+ lihlih e+e+ bl+bl+ C+C+ B+B+ r+r+ D+D+ Bu+Bu+
Abacot duck: M+M+ lihlih e+e+ bl+bl+ C+C+ B+B+ r+r+ D+- Bu+-

Hope this helps? Is there anything else you would like to know?
Thanks
In Calls in the US, a snowy Call is a call that has two copies of the li^h harlequin gene but otherwise has the genetics of a regular gray Call. Spot is one copy of li^h, and then also one copy of li Light Phase. The two interact to form the lighter Spot color.

I'm thinking then that your Abacot is a double dose of harlequin. Or are you saying that it's a totally separate new gene just called ACG? If so, which locus is it at on the chromosome? Is it at the locus of the other color phase genes?

What is the genotype of your Abacot and the genotype of your Spot? If you can tell me that, then I'll know for sure which colors are the same :) Like this, this is the genotype of a gray Call drake; can you write this out for your Abacot and Spot?

M+M+ Li+Li+ e+e+ bl+bl+ C+C+ B+B+ r+r+ D+D+ Bu+Bu+

The picture of your drake looks to me just like a snowy here in the US, as does the hen. The picture on the magazine cover looks like what we call Spot here. So I'm thinking what we call Spot you call Silver, and what we call Snowy you call Abacot. Different names for the same colors.

It appears I just had the color names wrong, since everyone usually says that silver in the UK is snowy here in US, or at least that's what I've always read. It seems instead that it's actually Abacot that is analogous to Snowy.

Here's a genetics calculator that has all the colors on them, though the names might be different from what you call them since the creator of the calculator is Dutch. To me, Abacot like you're describing falls under snowy. Silver falls under Spot. Or perhaps 'silver spot' which is regular spot but also dusky.

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingEend.html

We just have exhibitions and elite exhibitions, but in some ways they are all pets.
You're welcome :) In some regards pet quality ones are better, you could say. Less trouble hatching for one, lol! And it's fun to keep a bunch of colors, too. That's what I do with my pet flock; keep a ton of colors. That's just not really feasible to do with exhibition Calls, really, since each color needs a separate pen and a lot of focus to keep everything correct.

So I've got my show birds, which all have to be separated by color and breeding stock selected carefully, and then the pet flock, in which I can keep whatever I feel like, including colors that aren't accepted yet, and don't have to select breeding stock rigorously. And it's always a surprise what I hatch, which is fun :)

Hi all,

I’ve created a new thread about Abacot and silver calls... why don’t you take a look and reply on that thread? We can then have a discussion.

Thanks!
Thanks for the tag! I'm pretty useless really about genetics. But I love my calls and it's fun to try and figure out all the colors and combinations.
Definitely following along I love to learn!
I'm not overly concerned personally with breeding to color standards I mostly just want healthy ducks that for the most part keep the call duck body style. :)

Why yes I do. . and I did! Very interesting! I hope you stick around here!

Well, let's not hijack phantoms thread. :)
If you want you can go to my thread that I linked and check out our conversation over there between me and @Pyxis and friends and give your opinions. I have tons of pics there. Pyxis is very knowledgeable about color genetics as well.. She's probably forgotten more information than I have learned. :gigBut I am sure she doesn't mind chatting with others who have experience as well.

I didn't read through the thread, so sorry if this is a repeat, but I find this useful: http://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingEend.html
Some of the color terms may not be what you use.

In Calls in the US, a snowy Call is a call that has two copies of the li^h harlequin gene but otherwise has the genetics of a regular gray Call. Spot is one copy of li^h, and then also one copy of li Light Phase. The two interact to form the lighter Spot color.

I'm thinking then that your Abacot is a double dose of harlequin. Or are you saying that it's a totally separate new gene just called ACG? If so, which locus is it at on the chromosome? Is it at the locus of the other color phase genes?

What is the genotype of your Abacot and the genotype of your Spot? If you can tell me that, then I'll know for sure which colors are the same :) Like this, this is the genotype of a gray Call drake; can you write this out for your Abacot and Spot?

M+M+ Li+Li+ e+e+ bl+bl+ C+C+ B+B+ r+r+ D+D+ Bu+Bu+

The picture of your drake looks to me just like a snowy here in the US, as does the hen. The picture on the magazine cover looks like what we call Spot here. So I'm thinking what we call Spot you call Silver, and what we call Snowy you call Abacot. Different names for the same colors.

It appears I just had the color names wrong, since everyone usually says that silver in the UK is snowy here in US, or at least that's what I've always read. It seems instead that it's actually Abacot that is analogous to Snowy.

Here's a genetics calculator that has all the colors on them, though the names might be different from what you call them since the creator of the calculator is Dutch. To me, Abacot like you're describing falls under snowy. Silver falls under Spot. Or perhaps 'silver spot' which is regular spot but also dusky.

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingEend.html

Thanks...:frow...I definitely love my Birds and my Calls are not show Birds although absolutely loved little Ducks just the same...:wee....

Yes, the ACG is a double-harlequin gene.

This is the genetics of an abacot Drake: M+M+ lihlih e+e+ bl+bl+ C+C+ B+B+ r+r+ D+D+ Bu+Bu+
Abacot duck: M+M+ lihlih e+e+ bl+bl+ C+C+ B+B+ r+r+ D+- Bu+-

Hope this helps? Is there anything else you would like to know?
Thanks

Thank you, yes, that is snowy. I'd also like to know the genotype for your Silver if you know it, but I'll take this to the thread you started so as to not further hijack this one :)

Back
Top Bottom