call duck breeding

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by adorable, Mar 12, 2011.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    I am new to calls . So it is around the corner. I have notice some breeding going on and checking out the nesting boxes. What i am concerned about is to much breeding. I have a white female that the back of her neck is getting kinda of bald in a spot. There is enough females to males. JUst a little concerned. There is no one yet laying , but they are starting to show signs.

2. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

is she fine like showing like she wants to mate or is always runing from the males?? if so seperate her for a few days untill the feathers on her nack neck grow back or just for a day to relax!

3. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    I am not to sure. Every time i go out there. They act different. I have to hide to watch. LOL. I also noticed there is allot more noise going on. I guess spring fever. lol..When do calls normally start laying?I have about 24 in there.

4. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

hmm about 27 29 weeks old

5. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

how old are they ? Mine are 1 yr old. One of my girls laid for 1 month last Aug when she was about 5 months old.. my other one did NOT lay till about 2 weeks ago.. but now it seems she has quit but my other one just started.. I was told calls can be alittle immature when it comes to laying... they did start mating tho last summer.

6. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Quote:That's a lot of Calls in one pen...my thought is that too many drakes are liking the same hen. I'd split them up into a few pens and see what happens. I personally think Calls do better with less of a crowd.

7. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    I disagree. Calls do better with more than less and they also do better on the ground not on wire. I had calls last year and that is what i have notice. I will be watching a bit more. I think you are right that there is two many drake like the one hen. The ratio is 3 to 1. So it is good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by