Call Duck Egg Incubation

Agree. My first eggs have usually been fertile. I'm hoping he's doing his job. The hens are usually in the water but I'm hoping he's breeding them. I'm trying to get some stuff moved around so they can be on the ground with a larger water source too.

I'm planning on storing the eggs and setting at least a dozen at a time. I don't want to do a staggered hatch. Do you advise hatching them upright, or on their sides? I've read about helping them during the pipping process with a safety hole, but I don't know much about that. Does anyone have any detailed instructions on that? Maybe with photos or a video?
Have you tried cracking an egg to check? It's not necessary of course, but if you want to know you can crack one.
That sounds good. Staggered hatches can be difficult to manage sometimes.
I would advise incubating and hatching them on their sides. Waterfowl do not seem to do well being incubated upright, from what I've seen. The more natural, the better with waterfowl.
I would not recommend safety holes, unless the duckling is really obviously having trouble.
When safety holes are done, the duckling is not forced to externally pip. Usually, gases begin to build up inside of the egg, and the oxygen in the air cell is used up. These things force the duckling to externally pip, to release the gases and to let in fresh air.
Safety holes make this important step unnecessary.
When safety holes are made, the duckling is not forced to continue progressing through the hatching process, because they have air to breathe and the gases can be released.
The duckling just lays there, not progressing, and they often quit.
All of the fowl I have tried safety holes on just give up and die.
Actual assisting, such as opening up the air cell area and watching the duckling, works better. Esp. if the duckling is monitored frequently. Safety holes are tiny and don't provide any clues on the condition of the duckling. They are just to let in air. I make big "safety holes" in eggs that are struggling. It provides oxygen and releases gases, but you can also fully see the duckling so you can watch for clues on when the duckling is ready to hatch. Watch for yawning, (indicating that the yolk sac is still being absorbed) and monitor the presence of veins. If there are any veins visible, the duckling is not ready. Also watch for signs of the duckling getting weak, in that case you can decide whether you want to just get the duckling out. When they are ready, you can ease them out through the air cell hole.
There is also a link in my signature which is a good read.

I would advise incubating and hatching them on their sides. Waterfowl do not seem to do well being incubated upright, from what I've seen. The more natural, the better with waterfowl.
So you wouldn't even incubate them in the cabinet? Those turners require the eggs be upright. I could use a tabletop incubator.
I would not recommend safety holes, unless the duckling is really obviously having trouble.
Good to know.
There is also a link in my signature which is a good read
I will visit and read.

So you wouldn't even incubate them in the cabinet? Those turners require the eggs be upright. I could use a tabletop incubator.

Good to know.

I will visit and read.
I would not recommend it, no. A tabletop would work better, imo.
@WVduckchick also hatches calls, she might have some good tips. I have only done a couple batches of calls so I'm not the most experienced with them. I hatch lots and lots of other types of ducks though.

Call Ducks

Call ducklings almost always need to be assisted, thanks to their short beaks and necks which cause them a lot of trouble when trying to hatch. The procedure outlined above should work for them but I am a bit more aggressive as far as timelines go when I assist them. Now, I've only hatched shipped Calls so far, which likely plays a role here, but I have found that every time a Call has tried to zip on its own for me, it has blocked off its air supply and suffocated. So at this time, I don't like to let them do that. I will open up the air cell as detailed in Further Assisting before they get a chance to want to start to zip. I usually wait about 12 hours from when I do the safety hole to do this. Then I proceed as usual.

I read through your article which I found very helpful. If I'm reading that correctly it looks like you always give Calls a safety hole?

Call Ducks

Call ducklings almost always need to be assisted, thanks to their short beaks and necks which cause them a lot of trouble when trying to hatch. The procedure outlined above should work for them but I am a bit more aggressive as far as timelines go when I assist them. Now, I've only hatched shipped Calls so far, which likely plays a role here, but I have found that every time a Call has tried to zip on its own for me, it has blocked off its air supply and suffocated. So at this time, I don't like to let them do that. I will open up the air cell as detailed in Further Assisting before they get a chance to want to start to zip. I usually wait about 12 hours from when I do the safety hole to do this. Then I proceed as usual.

I read through your article which I found very helpful. If I'm reading that correctly it looks like you always give Calls a safety hole?
It is not my article, it's actually Pyxis'.

Are you hatching eggs because @Overo Mare is?
pop tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

My Calls are laying eggs. This is my first year with them and these are their first eggs so I just wanted to do everything right for them. I need baby calls in my life!

1614965660707.png
1614965676843.png
1614965684208.png
1614965737156.png

Back
Top Bottom