Call duck eggs are beginning to pip, including the one with twins!

Good luck with the hatching!!!!! I hope the twins make it. Lucky for me the time difference here means I can keep checking for any updates- and not have to miss sleep.

Cant wait to see photos too.

pop.gif

I never knew twins could survive! How exciting! I hope they come out strong and healthy!

Quote:
I'm glad you said this...I had no idea and now I know what to expect before I panic when that time comes.

Yep a good Call has a very short neck and bill that makes it hard for them to pip all around the egg. They will work until tired out, then rest or even take a nap before going back to work. piping is hard for them and they often need help to make it out.

I had heard that, but it's the first time I have heard someone put a time frame to it. So, at what point do you help your birds? I'm sure there has to be a line beyond which some will have to be intervened with. And, you are talking two days after you see the external pip, right...that first little hole in the shell?

Last edited:
I let mine pip and then wait 24 hours before I help. Sometimes you just know something is wrong and you go sooner then that...

Quote:
Yep a good Call has a very short neck and bill that makes it hard for them to pip all around the egg. They will work until tired out, then rest or even take a nap before going back to work. piping is hard for them and they often need help to make it out.

I had heard that, but it's the first time I have heard someone put a time frame to it. So, at what point do you help your birds? I'm sure there has to be a line beyond which some will have to be intervened with. And, you are talking two days after you see the external pip, right...that first little hole in the shell?

Yes I'm speaking of when i first saw the first crack in the shell.
I'm not a intervener for ducks or chicken eggs as sometimes we rush in and it's a mistake and the chick die's because we thought it needed help.
I was also told I may have to intervene when i hatched my Calls but i didn't i just watched and it took almost 2 days for them to completely hatch.
They would peck and rest for a long period then peck some more and rest i was nervous but in the end i learned alot and now when i hatch this spring i know what to exspect.

As i said before it takes alot of patients to hatch Calls

pop.gif
O.K. you got my attention! Please tell !!!!!!!!! Are the Duckies here yet?
yippiechickie.gif

Wanted to ask also since many of you have hatched Calls. What humidity,and temps do you use for hatching. Keeping my fingers crossed I'll be getting eggs soon to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom