Call duck eggs incubation instructions

I have three call ducks, 1 drake and 2 hens. He is smaller than the hens, would he still be able to successfully breed and provide fertilized eggs? Also, I've thought about incubating and seeing what happens, after reading this, I'm not sure I want to.

What is the "safety hole" and "air cell"? How do help in both of these?

I have three call ducks, 1 drake and 2 hens. He is smaller than the hens, would he still be able to successfully breed and provide fertilized eggs? Also, I've thought about incubating and seeing what happens, after reading this, I'm not sure I want to.

What is the "safety hole" and "air cell"? How do help in both of these?
The air cell is located at the fat end of the egg. A chick if in correct position has it's head at the dad end of the egg. When hatching a chicks beak intrudes into the air cell. I've never made a safety hole with my eggs so hopefully someone with more experience could chime in on that.

The air cell is located at the fat end of the egg. A chick if in correct position has it's head at the dad end of the egg. When hatching a chicks beak intrudes into the air cell. I've never made a safety hole with my eggs so hopefully someone with more experience could chime in on that.
*Fat end

Temperature is the same as with other ducks, 99.5 F in a forced air incubator or 101.5 F in a still air. Humidity depends on your location, and no one humidity is going to be right for everyone. For me, 30% works the best, but it could be different for you. You might want to weigh them to monitor weight loss so you can adjust, or just keep an eye on the air cells.

Hatch day is day 26, lockdown day is day 23. Also, since Calls have been breed to have short necks and beaks, they have trouble hatching. Ones that aren't as good examples of the standard can usually do okay, but the better they are in terms of type, the harder it is for them to hatch, so if the eggs are coming from nice stock you'll want to be prepared to assist just in case.
What should I be looking for with the air sack or weighing them?

Back
Top Bottom