Call duck vs geese

Mommapig

Songster
6 Years
May 16, 2017
Looking to expand my knowledge and try call ducks or geese.I’ve had chickens and ducks for years, but would like to add something new.
What’s your experience with them?
I love the idea of geese being protectors and producing eggs, but I adore my ducks and wonder if call ducks would be a fun new experience?
If I could put them both in a brooder I’d do both, but not looking to have separate brooders going right now.

Geese are awesome I love mine but they do not always get along with ducks and chickens, I keep mine in a separate but adjacent pen.
They do make a lot of noise especially if they see a predator but they will not fight off a predator to protect your flock.
A gander will put up a good fight with a predator to protect his wife and kids but will likely lose his life doing so.

Ive never had call ducks and while they are super duper adorable, in my opinion they should stop breeding them because the nares are so tiny that some of them have trouble breathing.

just my 3 cents (inflation)

I’d go for the geese, personally - likely what I’ll be doing later this year :p Having their alarm call to alert both my ducks and I of potential predators would be amazing.
Ive never had call ducks and while they are super duper adorable, in my opinion they should stop breeding them because the nares are so tiny that some of them have trouble breathing.
Not just that, I’ve seen many people say that, due to their short necks + bills, most can’t even hatch on their own and require a full assist. They’re cute, but.. that sounds so stressful, for the ducklings and the person.
just my 3 cents (inflation)
I’m stealing this 🤣

I'm partial to geese. While they are by no means predator-proof, they can hold their own considerably more than chickens or ducks--some predators are a bit more hesitant to go after a bird as large as a goose. Another aspect of calls to consider: they are very capable flyers, so that will need to be taken into account for their housing arrangements, whereas geese are probably one of the simplest species of poultry to house.

Back
Top Bottom