Call duck wing tips sticking out

birdsanctuary

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 31, 2013
Paris Ontario Canada
I have this one young call duck about 8 weeks old and is feathering out. But I have noticed that she is acting like her wing tips are heavy and they stick out from her side . I am wondering if this is because her secondary feathers are not big enough to hold her tips in or should I try to correct it buy taping them in or would it correct on its own ?

Hi, I would just wrap one wing for 3-6 days, and when you wrap one side you just put the tape under the other wing you are not treating this way you don't have to move her from the others and she wont feel like she is off balance. it will work well, then after the 3-6 days treat the other wing.....I had one recently with angel wing and this worked and corrected the problem. After 3 days I took the tape off as gentle as possible and used scissors to help...I put her in the water for a swim to calm her and let her have some time without the tape and then let her dry a bit and the re tapped for a further 3 days..All is Perfect and corrected....I did not have to move her as she coped really well with just the one wing being treated at a time. it certainly looks to be angel wing and you shouldn't wait and see, you need to treat other wise it is disfiguring to the duck and cant be corrected if not treated ASAP.

Good Luck and give this a go , one wing at a time, you will be amazed at how quick it works! :)

try cliping them but dont clip to close as she will bleed alot and you will have to pull out that feather

If it is angle wing, that means she has too much protein in her diet. What are you feeding her?

She looks to me like she is ready to be dropped back to a Maintenance Feed.
=16-18%.

Do a Search for Celtic Oaks's post "Angel Wing and How we Wrap it". That will show you with pics how she has straightened that out. Wonderful post there.

She is doing ok. I couldn't wrap her wings as she was with her parents and other birds. But I will keep an eye on her for when she starts to molt out to see if it changes if not I will wrap her wings until she finishes molting !

Back
Top Bottom