Call duck

No, you don't need one male per female, and in fact you will end up with severely overbred hens in most cases. Recommendations for ducks range from 1:3 to 1:6, though this isn't breed-specific information, merely an average, and weight does impact how few drakes you can have whilst still collecting fertile eggs. Lighter breeds, in general, can handle more hens before fertility drops. I would start somewhere in that range and then adjust as needed to keep your females safe.
Some folks lower the ratio to ~1:2 for the breeding season to ensure fertility and then go up to ~1:5 once they've hatched out enough ducklings.

No, you don't need one male per female, and in fact you will end up with severely overbred hens in most cases. Recommendations for ducks range from 1:3 to 1:6, though this isn't breed-specific information, merely an average, and weight does impact how few drakes you can have whilst still collecting fertile eggs. Lighter breeds, in general, can handle more hens before fertility drops. I would start somewhere in that range and then adjust as needed to keep your females safe.
Some folks lower the ratio to ~1:2 for the breeding season to ensure fertility and then go up to ~1:5 once they've hatched out en
Thank you the man I bought them from told me I had to have 1 male per female which is hard to beleive cause they was fine in his coop and now my 2 males are fighting or something. One is pulling at my other male chasing him like crazy.
My female laid 5 eggs so far should I take them or let her try to hatch them out ?

Do you have an incubator? It's up to you, really. If she goes broody, there's no harm in letting her sit as long as you're prepared and keep an eye on them afterwards.
No on incubator but i have 10 laying hens right now I mught chance and see if she well hatch them out I'm new to ducks

No on incubator but i have 10 laying hens right now I mught chance and see if she well hatch them out I'm new to ducks
In that case, hoping your duck will go broody seems like your best bet for ducklings. Be sure to have shallow water pans that the ducklings can't get stuck in, crumbled feed, and if they're allowed out of the coop, make sure there aren't any steep steps back up.

I'm hoping for babies lol alot diff than raising goats how can I get my other drake to leave my other drake alone

I'm hoping for babies lol alot diff than raising goats how can I get my other drake to leave my other drake alone
If you find out a way that doesn't involve physical separation, let me know. :p I haven't had much luck with keeping them from fighting, other than giving them plenty of space and water sources to reduce damage to the lower ranking drake.

If you find out a way that doesn't involve physical separation, let me know. :p I haven't had much luck with keeping them from fighting, other than giving them plenty of space and water sources to reduce damage to the lower ranking drake.
I havent had much luck if I get in there with them he doesnt bother him as much only option I have is probably to sale him as bad as I hate to Idk what else to do do u know how eggs a female lays befor sitting on them

I havent had much luck if I get in there with them he doesnt bother him as much only option I have is probably to sale him as bad as I hate to Idk what else to do do u know how eggs a female lays befor sitting on them
Not all duck hens will go broody, however, if your bird does, it will likely be after laying around 8–12 eggs.

Back
Top Bottom