Call Duckling Beak Deformity

Yes I have one with a deformed bill, he will be a year old in about 3 weeks!
I think I wet his food for a bit, early on, but his brother hatchmate helped him along.

I’ve found with ducklings, as large a brooder as possible is a big help. If you can keep the water in a separate area, it helps a lot. I place my waterer in a shallow pan, with an old rag under it. So it’s easy to remove, rinse, and helps to not get the whole brooder so wet. I use puppy pads, with rabbit bedding pellets instead of shavings as I find they get less junk in the water and it seems to help with the odor better than shavings.

One comment I will make about my fella with the deformed bill (his name is Garth), he seems to eat more, and is always first to come running for treats. I don’t think he actually eats more, I think it just takes him longer to get full, as he can’t scoop the feed as quickly as the others.
I would also encourage you to get her used to baths. For some reason, Garth doesn’t seem to bathe as much as my others, and his feathers stay tattered looking. I’m not sure if it’s an aversion to being in the water or just coincidence, but he never did swim as much as the others.
View attachment 3069746View attachment 3069745
What a handsome little fellow! Thank you so much for responding. We got a much bigger brooder today - a huge clear rubber tub so they have a lot more room. I separated the food and water as well. I will definitely start offering the baths. I'm not sure how old they need to be before they can go in some warm water bath?? This one is so tiny - I can give it a try tomorrow. I do have some wood pellets and also some newspaper pellets I could put in the bottom and then the puppy pads over top of that.

I wonder if anyone has tried making a "beak patch" to make them an actual complete beak? I know they can do this with turtles who damage or destroy parts of their shell. There is some type of compound they can use to patch the shell and is just as hard as a turtle shell. I'm sure vets have too much to worry with to deal with that - but the guy who makes those artificial legs and carts/prosthetics for all sorts of animals (he has a tv show) might be one to ask about it....

The little one is still giving it tonight - I think you are right in that all the vigor for eating is partially due to the fact that it takes a lot more work to get a few bites down. Softening the Mazuri does seem to help a LOT and the other one prefers the wet food as well. They aren't even touching the dry food now, but I keep it in there just in case.

Thanks again for your help, it is greatly appreciated! I will also check out the other thread someone shared on the deformed beak. And Happy One Year birthday to Garth!!!

What a handsome little fellow! Thank you so much for responding. We got a much bigger brooder today - a huge clear rubber tub so they have a lot more room. I separated the food and water as well. I will definitely start offering the baths. I'm not sure how old they need to be before they can go in some warm water bath?? This one is so tiny - I can give it a try tomorrow. I do have some wood pellets and also some newspaper pellets I could put in the bottom and then the puppy pads over top of that.

I wonder if anyone has tried making a "beak patch" to make them an actual complete beak? I know they can do this with turtles who damage or destroy parts of their shell. There is some type of compound they can use to patch the shell and is just as hard as a turtle shell. I'm sure vets have too much to worry with to deal with that - but the guy who makes those artificial legs and carts/prosthetics for all sorts of animals (he has a tv show) might be one to ask about it....

The little one is still giving it tonight - I think you are right in that all the vigor for eating is partially due to the fact that it takes a lot more work to get a few bites down. Softening the Mazuri does seem to help a LOT and the other one prefers the wet food as well. They aren't even touching the dry food now, but I keep it in there just in case.

Thanks again for your help, it is greatly appreciated! I will also check out the other thread someone shared on the deformed beak. And Happy One Year birthday to Garth!!!
They can take warm baths any time (I’ve had momma ducks hatch several ducklings and take them to the pool within hours of the last one hatching!
Of course, without a momma duck, they have to spread their own oils, so very short baths are recommended. And very shallow to start, then deepen the water as they get bigger. Watch for the down feathering to look saturated and remove them if they look too wet. They can drown. In ducklings under a week old, this can happen within just a few minutes, so never leave them unattended, of course. (Not that you would, just a caution for anyone reading this)
Dry them well with a towel, and immediately get them to a warm space to fully dry. Some even enjoy a warm hair dryer, used sparingly, and not too hot.
But let them preen and spread their own oils. They enjoy it, and it’s good for them in moderation when they are really little. Once a day is plenty at first.
9BB9CBC0-0B69-4A84-9970-0564449D7F14.jpeg

They can take warm baths any time (I’ve had momma ducks hatch several ducklings and take them to the pool within hours of the last one hatching!
Of course, without a momma duck, they have to spread their own oils, so very short baths are recommended. And very shallow to start, then deepen the water as they get bigger. Watch for the down feathering to look saturated and remove them if they look too wet. They can drown. In ducklings under a week old, this can happen within just a few minutes, so never leave them unattended, of course. (Not that you would, just a caution for anyone reading this)
Dry them well with a towel, and immediately get them to a warm space to fully dry. Some even enjoy a warm hair dryer, used sparingly, and not too hot.
But let them preen and spread their own oils. They enjoy it, and it’s good for them in moderation when they are really little. Once a day is plenty at first.
View attachment 3071035
Thank you so much for this bath info!! I will give it a try this afternoon. They sure do try to play in their water.

The little one is still doing great!! Such a little fighter 🥰

Angela

Hello Angela, I think your little one will be fine if it is eating and drinking. You can see my little call duckling with a more severe bill problem in this post if you wish.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...and-lots-of-smelly-gas.1521595/#post-25624619

Blessings to you and little one.
What a cute fellow! Thank you for sharing. I notice a lot of folks suggesting chick starter. I’m feeding the Mazuri waterfowl starter. Is chick starter better for baby ducks than waterfowl starter? I just ordered the Mazuri because I thought it would be the most nutritionally appropriate. But I can certainly switch. I’m feeding several baby chicks the chick starter right now.
My little one is still doing well. I’m wetting the Mazuri and they just gobble it down.
Keep us posted on your little ones progress. I had wondered about some type of prosthetic for their bill as well. In my case, it may need to wait until the bill is full size.
If you have a vet school nearby, they may have an avian vet who could create some type of brace for your baby’s bill?? Just a thought…
🥰Angela

Hello Angela,
How is your little duckling with deformed beak? Mine is doing good and has gained just over 1 oz since I posted (it has doubled in weight). It has a hard time eating from a food bowl so I hold it on my lap and cup the food in my hand and that works best but it takes about half an hour each time I feed him. I will try to get a video of it.
Chick starter is not as good for ducklings because they need way more niacin and B vitamins than chickens. I got brewer's yeast, and some vitamins and electrolytes. I need to get peas again as they have niacin and are good for ducks.
I like your idea of contacting vet schools and may try that when my duckling is a little bigger.
Blessings to you and your little ones.
Maggie

Hello Angela,
How is your little duckling with deformed beak? Mine is doing good and has gained just over 1 oz since I posted (it has doubled in weight). It has a hard time eating from a food bowl so I hold it on my lap and cup the food in my hand and that works best but it takes about half an hour each time I feed him. I will try to get a video of it.
Chick starter is not as good for ducklings because they need way more niacin and B vitamins than chickens. I got brewer's yeast, and some vitamins and electrolytes. I need to get peas again as they have niacin and are good for ducks.
I like your idea of contacting vet schools and may try that when my duckling is a little bigger.
Maggie
Thanks so much for asking!! She/he is really doing well and growing. I need to weigh her. I decided to keep her on the Missouri water foul starter pellets
Hello Angela,
Maggie
So glad your baby is able to eat! That sounds like a process!! He is lucky to have you 💕
Little Midge is doing great!! She/he is still eating the Mazuri waterfowl starter. I’ve been putting warm water on it to soften it and they both seem to get it down.
Someone had mentioned making sure they swim or get in the water. I’ve noticed she does not get in the water like her sister. So I’ve started putting them in the sink each evening to make sure she gets her fuzz wet and gets used to it. I hope that will help.

Back
Top Bottom