WVduckchick

🐓🦆For the Birds!🦆🐓
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Feb 9, 2015
West Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
I had a call duck hen sitting on eggs that decided, for whatever reason, to give up the nest. I checked the eggs and several were still viable, so I put them in the incubator. This one hatched yesterday, but it has a deformed bill. I hope it will be able to eat and drink... so far it is doing well. Very active, and has a sibling helping it along. I thought I’d start a thread to monitor it, and invite anyone who has experienced this, or is just interested in the outcome, to tag along.
BC739E52-2B49-4045-9AE6-4245F2FCFB79.jpeg
8DC846D5-D97A-4554-BC61-641019507525.jpeg

It's eyes look off too
It was a rough, assisted hatch. It’s head and eyes are still a little matted from drying out during the hatch. I’ll probably try washing it’s head later today. I haven’t wanted to push it too much.
Same with what looks like a crest or vaulted skull. It’s not. It’s just from the caked fluid of the hatch.

I had a call duck hen sitting on eggs that decided, for whatever reason, to give up the nest. I checked the eggs and several were still viable, so I put them in the incubator. This one hatched yesterday, but it has a deformed bill. I hope it will be able to eat and drink... so far it is doing well. Very active, and has a sibling helping it along. I thought I’d start a thread to monitor it, and invite anyone who has experienced this, or is just interested in the outcome, to tag along.
View attachment 2656873View attachment 2656874

Wow. You can see it's tiny tounge flickering in there

I've seen a full sized duck with a bill like that. I'll say minus any other birth deformities you can't see outright it will be fine.
Thanks for the info! We’ve seen lots of crazy injuries here on BYC and other places like FB etc, and how they can amazingly heal, but I have never seen an adult like this, so I’m glad to hear that it’s possible.

Back
Top Bottom