Call ducklings on the way- questions from nervous grandma

chikky

Songster
12 Years
Jun 13, 2009
Glenmont, Ohio
We're expecting call ducklings in about another week
pop.gif
and I have a couple of questions that I haven't found answers for yet.
1. The hen is sitting on her nest in the coop. There is a ramp (appx. 12" wide X 3' long) to get outside & down to the run. Do I need to take some precaution for the ducklings safety getting to the outside?
2. If the answer to #1 is yes, could I set her up with a big dog box outside on the ground for her & the babies to nest in- with straw, etc.? (The run is as predator-proof as we can possibly get it, so I think they'd be safe that way).
3. She'll keep them warm enough, right? (I think so, from what I've read)
4. I do need to keep her and her babies separate from the drake and the other hen, right? (Again, I think so, just double-checking if people leave them together or not)
5. How do I let mama have the water she wants without putting the ducklings at risk? I bought a round small waterer but will mama be able to be satisfied with that?

Thanks in advance. I have learned TONS from this site!
Can't wait!!

I f I let my calls hatch their own I take the babies away and place in a brooder. The other ducks would pick at the babies and mom would be a nervous wreck and unable to defend them.
Babes should not need or go into water until they are feathered out. I raise mine up till they are good size and fast on their feet and then introduce them back to the flock. I keep a close eye on the adult males to be sure they do not try to drown, yes drown the youngsters while picking on them in the water. It is a slow and gradual process but I have yet to lose one. Good luck.

I agree about placing them in a brooder or isolation pen. I always start my calls on a chick waterer since it is shallow enough they generally do ok. If they are weak and get into the waterer however they will get cold quick, lay down and drown. The mom will naturally take the babies to water and I would hate to see them not be able to get out or get tired and give up. The brooder under a light bulb is the way I raise all my calls. A new momma may pick on the babies herself since she is unsure of how to best take care of them. You can also foster them onto a broody chicken hen. I have seen this discussed numerous times on BYC. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom