Call ducks color Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TheNewMrsEvans, Oct 15, 2008.

1. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    I am getting some Snowys this weekend! Yea! I was thinking of getting greys also, but i was wondering what you would get with a snowy male x grey female?

2. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    I would suppose you would get some of both. I will be trying this as well as snowy and white next spring. I really Like our grey ones, The drake has such beautiful coloring. DH likes the snowy and the white the best.
    I say get both [​IMG] not to be an enabler lol:p

3. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Is there anyone on BYC who sells hatching eggs? I'd love to give that a try. I have a blue bibbed hen, and miss_jayne is giving my son a white drake tomorrow. I'd LOVE to have a snowy.

4. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have one snowy drake, a really nice little guy too, but unfortunately he'll be locked in a pen next spring because I have no snowy duck for him. All my others are white. I was thinking of letting him mate with my white duck who had angle wing just to see what color I'd get. They both have really nice conformation, so whatever color it is, it'll probably be pretty. Too bad about that angle wing...

I'll be selling eggs next spring - one of my white ducks is a little egg making machine and she goes broody like a cochin! [​IMG] I hatched out a really nice white drake this year too, we're gonna pair him with my two high quality ducks and try to get some good show birds for my son's 4H project.

Calls are so much fun. I started my duck obsession with runners, but after having calls I'm hooked on the bantams for good. They are so cute and funny and when I change the water in the pools in the aviary it looks liek a water park in there, splashin around having a good time! They even get along with my mandarins and wood ducks. I could watch them all for hours.

5. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

try putting them in the bathub in the house but be ready for the shower curtain to shut tight.....wow what a spray....DD did this last night getting them ready for a show this weekend, to let them get the true grit off. Man they had water everywhere before DH came in and blew a gasket! LOL [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    I have both grays and snowys. I've thought of this myself but have no intention on breeding them. Not sure what I'll be doing with the eggs. I've never eaten a duck egg and we get plenty of chicken eggs a day anyway.

jeremy

7. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    I would also be intrested in getting some call duck eggs. If any one could help me out that would be great. I found some hens on craigslist but they were three hours away. I could have some shipped for that. thanks

8. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I think when mating a snowy to a grey you will get greys that carry the snowy but I am not positive.

9. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    Grey colors with the snowy texture would be kinda neat.

jeremy

10. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    I think that I want to get soem call eggs too...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by