Call Ducks Finally Hatched

Pics
Hi Lacrystol et al, Miss Lydia has suggested I post on this thread to ask if call ducklings that were taken from a nesting pair (full story here - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/783425/help-with-call-ducks-how-to-raise-them) should be hand reared and then introduced back to the outside ducks when older, or if they could be introduced earlier and stand a chance of being adopted by their real mum? They've only hatched today so are still fluffing up in the incubator, but I really didn't expect any of them to hatch so I'm not sure what to do now!!

Any advice you can give would be very gratefully received, I've hatched loads of chickens over the years but I'm a call duck newbie! Thx all.

Hi Lacrystol et al, Miss Lydia has suggested I post on this thread to ask if call ducklings that were taken from a nesting pair (full story here - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/783425/help-with-call-ducks-how-to-raise-them) should be hand reared and then introduced back to the outside ducks when older, or if they could be introduced earlier and stand a chance of being adopted by their real mum? They've only hatched today so are still fluffing up in the incubator, but I really didn't expect any of them to hatch so I'm not sure what to do now!!

Any advice you can give would be very gratefully received, I've hatched loads of chickens over the years but I'm a call duck newbie! Thx all.
Ok in my experience, I have tried. I had a mommy hatch out her own baby, the same day I hatched out some babies. Her baby died, not sure why but I found him dead, so I thought perfect she can have my babies. Needless to say things did not go well with her. Unlike Silkies she 100% rejected my babies. Attacked them to get away, I was afraid she would hurt them so they came back in the house. Now As they got older, I have sent mine outside when they start to get there adult feathers and still today my old group rejects them. So they all go into there own groups, HOWEVER my first group has joined my second group of hatchings but they all reject my third group. Now I have a fourth group which includes 15 call ducks. LOL, I think I can predict what's going to happen and that will be my first, second and third group will join together while my group of 15 will be in there own group. Does that make sense?? LOL

Crazy ducks.

Okay uuuuggggg talk about exploding eggs....

If you read my post from my link you will understand fully what I am talking about.

I went out to check thinking I should see a duckling or two tonight.
My blue however had covered her nest and was off of it.

So I went over to see if any of the eggs had cracked any more. Well figured I would pull some of the shell away more and see if the duckling was alive or dead. Teach me the egg was liqued dead. Uuuugggg.

Checked the other nest and that might have live ducklings.... going to cross my fingers.

my cayugas kept killing their babies so i would take them as soon as they hatched and put them in a brooder in the house...when they got their feathers i put them in a cage in the duck pen so they could all see each other but couldn't do any damage...after a month or so i would let them out together during the day (with supervision at first) but at night they were separated. now they all live happily ever after in one pen and one house...

Look what I found this morning! I don't know how many it doesn't matter they are alive and hatching! Fresh water and game starter crumble right outside for when she is ready to take them out. Can't wait! :D.

my cayugas kept killing their babies so i would take them as soon as they hatched and put them in a brooder in the house...when they got their feathers i put them in a cage in the duck pen so they could all see each other but couldn't do any damage...after a month or so i would let them out together during the day (with supervision at first) but at night they were separated. now they all live happily ever after in one pen and one house...

Thanks so much, to you and Lacrystol for taking the time to reply. Looks like I'm hand rearing 3 call ducklings then (one of which seems to be blind in one eye, awww). Which I'm thrilled about, they're so gorgeous!

Last edited:
I went out to take a peek and of course could not resist taking another picture! Although this shows her more. Story goes like this my son wanted to show call ducks. Got several from a local 4H respect breeder. Went in the coop in the morning several months after and found heads all taken off except for one which happen to be an excape artist. We have GPYR but what ever it was at the time they couldn't get it. A week later they killed a opposum! With that I found someone who was closer who had calls (I am still learning my colors) not show grade but close in color. I kinda did the good mom deed replaced them and the lady who got them from I got a trio of what she called pastels. My son of course was so excited because it was his birthday and saw I got him three new calls...
Sorry to make so long Anyway I was trying to find a quality drake for my escape artist from another breeder and had brought pictures of her to show him. He happen to see the picture of this call duck and started going nuts. He said it was a very rare silver appleyard call. So I don't know what she really is but if anyone knows let me know! Her ducklings would most likely also be the same coloring.

Back
Top Bottom