Call Ducks Finally Hatched

Most crested ducks are fine, but some can end up with issues... fine motor control, head twitches, etc... breeding crested to crested is not recommended as it causes many to not hatch or be born with severe issues... look up crested ducks and neurological issues, it should tell you more... I don't have them personally, but the issue comes from the crest being formed by fatty tissue that actually pokes through a hole in their skull...

If you got duMor feed from TSC, then no it's not adequate... most TSC's do stock Purina Flock Raiser, it's formulated with higher Niacin and is fine to feed them from hatch to lay...

WHEW! I have Purina Flock Raiser
big_smile.png
I have 4 ducklings that hatched....2 crested..2 non, so then it would be a good idea to keep one crested with one non? My friend is taking a pair for pets
smile.png

I put this on the emergency thread and the duck thread...but I really need some help! I have a baby duckling...2 days old that was eating/drinking when I noticed that he was standing straight up...bill up...and he has water bubbling through his nares. He is breathing and peeping. He is shaking his head and some of the food water is coming out. Could he have a clump of food lodged? How do I help him?

I put this on the emergency thread and the duck thread...but I really need some  help! I have a baby duckling...2 days old that was eating/drinking when I noticed that he was standing straight up...bill up...and he has water bubbling through his nares. He is breathing and peeping. He is shaking his head and some of the food water is coming out. Could he have a clump of food lodged? How do I help him?

Is his crop fill up?? How is he now???

Is his crop fill up?? How is he now???

He seems ok at the moment. I gave him a clear dish of water to flush out any food that may have gotten caught. He was snuggled with the others sleeping and they are all up eating and drinking again. I am watching him closely and he seems to be doing ok. I made sure their food is completely moist so they don't hit a dry spot. Any idea what could have happened?

He seems ok at the moment. I gave him a clear dish of water to flush out any food that may have gotten caught. He was snuggled with the others sleeping and they are all up eating and drinking again. I am watching him closely and he seems to be doing ok. I made sure their food is completely moist so they don't hit a dry spot. Any idea what could have happened?

If he was gulping his food and not taking drinks of water in between, most likely he overfilled his crop and it clogged up to the back of his throat... seen it a few times... if you feel in front and along to their right side down from their esophagus, you could probably feel the crop and esophagus full of food... if you're careful, you can pinch it at the top just under the jaw and work it down a bit, but never push it up and out... they risk aspirating it if forced out... but that's a last resort if he's choking... keeping the food moist should help... :)

Last edited:
If he was gulping his food and not taking drinks of water in between, most likely he overfilled his crop and it clogged up to the back of his throat... seen it a few times... if you feel in front and along to their right side down from their esophagus, you could probably feel the crop and esophagus full of food... if you're careful, you can pinch it at the top just under the jaw and work it down a bit, but never push it up and out... they risk aspirating it if forced out... but that's a last resort if he's choking... keeping the food moist should help...
smile.png

Yes..my hubby was massaging him down so I think it probably broke up whatever was there. This baby scared me to death!!!! And now I am watching it eat with paranoia...poor baby! Thank you so much
smile.png
I have been checking out so many threads on duckling care..my head is spinning!

Back
Top Bottom