call ducks flightless or not?

Jody

Songster
10 Years
Nov 8, 2009
Epping, NH
The woman I got my call duck said they're flightless, but someone else said they fly, and also efowl says they fly.

Do call ducks fly? Mine don't. It's blind, and maybe didn't learn to fly.

Oh. Do they fly around and then come back home? Or do they disappear? Do they fly south for the Winter then come home in the Spring, lol.

I wanted Call ducks because they're smaller, but I don't want to lose them to flight.. How often will I have to clip their wing feathers? My blind duck don't fly.. I'm told it's under a yr.. How old do they start flying?

Yes, Calls can and will fly. I clip wings and I would suggest it be done every 6 weeks. You may have to do it sooner. You really have to watch how quickly their flight feathers grow back.

I don't do a drastic cut, though. Mine tend to stay close because there's no water close to my house other than my pools so they don't wander off.

The reason that I do a small wing clip is that I live in the Tennessee mountains and we have hawks, eagles, and other flying predators and they would snatch one of these small Calls right out of the air.

Laurie

Mine can fly, and I don't clip their wings anymore...did with my first couple ducks, but Calls should be flighted if you are going to show. It will also enable them with some sort of escape against some predators. The guy who wrote the Call Duck Breed Book said in 40 years of breeding Calls, he never once lost one to flying away. Calls know where their "bread is buttered", but the other thing to bear in mind is, is there any way they can wind up in greater danger by being able to fly into somewhere they should not go.

ive been wondering also.do they fly south for the winter?do they fly away for a few days and then come back?or do they just fly around the yard?

My first time with calls I opened the top to feed them and some flew out, up, up and away! They left and never came back. I think the woods around our house called to them. No idea where they went after that. I lost 5 ducks that way. I had geese run away too. Never seen again. Not all birds know where their bread is buttered.
roll.png

Were they birds that were new to you? I have never had a domestic bird fly off. Maybe if they were raised somewhere else and purchased as grown birds. I have never, ever had a bird I raised here fly off and never return, not even a Mallard.

Back
Top Bottom