Call Ducks help

And that is why they are stand-offish. It's not that they don't like you, give them time just sit out with them toss some mealworms in their directions and as they get them eventually toss them closer and closer to you hopefully one of these days they will be eating out of your hand.
You are going to have to win their trust.

Other treats are sliced grapes, chopped lettuce, tomatoes.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements.242460/

My Calls LOVE zucchini, absolutely LOVE it. I also dig up earthworms for them that they love and of course meal worms <3 My Calls don't enjoy being "held" but they do enjoy whenever I sit with them and of course bring treats. The girls start calling anytime they see me and anytime they realize I'm leaving them.

Last edited:
Also, blueberries in their pool has been a big hit today. I don't know if they'll see them in a darker pool, but they may feel them with their bills or feet and gobble them up. So far, mine have NOT been fans of yellow squash, tomatoes, Bananas, and plain yogurt. Yours might like those things. I usually google to check for safety of something before offering it and if it's safe, try to get them to at least taste it. I like to sit with them for a while after offering anything new to make sure they don't have any bad reactions.

Ok I need more advice! These ducks don’t trust me in the slightest. Are there any treats that your ducks find irresistible? All they have ever eaten in their life is Mauzuri waterfowl breeder. They are now on purina duck pellets until I can get the time to order Mauzuri. I ordered a diaper/ harness for Willow to help regrow her feathers. They seem to have a hard time using the ramp to their pool. They get up on it but never actually dive in. Here’s a photo but now we have added a wood ramp on top of the brick. I keep have to place them in it. View attachment 2768468
Well they are very new to your place. And like you said the breeder wasn’t very interactive with them. So the best thing you can do to win their trust is to find their favorite treat(s) and toss them some. Over time toss the treats closer and closer to you and hopefully they will begin to come around you more and more. But don’t get frustrated if they don’t trust you right away. Congrats on the new additions!!

@HeatherKellyB they dont seem to like anything except oats, mealworms, and peas. three duck classics lol. the breeder had never given them treats before. (honestly i dont know how much she cared for them) and Birch's tag on his leg said 77. I asked her what it meant and she said he was in PEN 77. not just the 77th bird... they were kept in trios and there are most likely more pens... crazy.

@HeatherKellyB they dont seem to like anything except oats, mealworms, and peas. three duck classics lol. the breeder had never given them treats before. (honestly i dont know how much she cared for them) and Birch's tag on his leg said 77. I asked her what it meant and she said he was in PEN 77. not just the 77th bird... they were kept in trios and there are most likely more pens... crazy.
Oh wow! It sounds like they're in good and loving hands now, thankfully. My big ducks haven't ever been fans of treats. Occasionally I'll sneak a blueberry or raisin to them and they'll like a couple and then they're done. The only things they like are alive and moving like earthworms, crickets, and their absolute favorite, minnows. I've tried many things with them but they're not interested. With time, I bet your ducks will enjoy life more and appreciate the special things that you provide them 💜

Oh wow! It sounds like they're in good and loving hands now, thankfully. My big ducks haven't ever been fans of treats. Occasionally I'll sneak a blueberry or raisin to them and they'll like a couple and then they're done. The only things they like are alive and moving like earthworms, crickets, and their absolute favorite, minnows. I've tried many things with them but they're not interested. With time, I bet your ducks will enjoy life more and appreciate the special things that you provide them 💜
I hope so. I will probably pick up some minnows tomorrow. I was going to buy some for the chickens anyway lol. I would like another adult call duck to make them a trio again but I don’t know if I would feel comfortable buying from her. These guys were free and it was different… I think I’ll definitely think on it though.

Back
Top Bottom