Call Ducks?

SunAngel

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Chambersburg, Pa.
We just acquired two little ducks and I think I found what they were... Gray Calls. Am I correct?

Would anyone happen to know if they are girls or boys? How can you tell? I have no idea how old they are either.

Pic_08Aug142008.jpg

We thought our little Mallard was a girl because she looked exactly like these two, but all of a sudden she has shed much of her brown feathers and turned gray w/ a green head, so apparently she is a he.

These little Calls looks like miniatures of the Mallard a month ago, with the same blue/green band on the wings. But I couldnt find any adult Calls with that color band on the wing, the males all had gray wings.

Do only female Calls have the blue band? Or is it possible these little ducks will shed their brown feathers and turn into males also?

During this time of year the grey calls can go into "eclipse" so that their colors are faded. My snowy call pair now look much more like each other than they did during the breeding season. I have a male grey looks very much like that, but he is in eclipse and is very young. I wish I knew more to help you.

Back
Top Bottom