Call of the Wildman

I am pretty sure they are just actors and that the show is scripted. The people on "Hoggers" talk strange, like they had a diction coach teach them how to talk. The guys look real rough, but the girls look rather fashionable and talk like they are represented by the William Morris agency.

Probably the only experience the writers have had with the south was changing planes in Atlanta.

Well, the producers found Turtleman on a T.V. show called Kentucky Afield doing his turtle catching act. Turtleman and Neil are actually friends because he wrote a song about Turtleman. As for Ernie's friend Dave "Squirrel" Brady, they were childhood friends that caught snakes together. I know, some parts may be scripted, but it doesn't mean that everything is. I'm not sure what "Hoggers" is so you'll have to explain.

I'll agree about the women on "Hoggers". Something about them just seems totally out of place. I can understand a woman wanting to look pretty for the cameras, but for the most part, pretty and functionality on the field do not agree. Especially when really angry hogs want to eat your face.

Dunno, but I feel that those women are told to dress that way to add sex appeal or something like it. I'm all for women going out and wrangling hogs, but pretty nails and make-up have no place in wrestling a muddy, angry, possibly pooping 300lb pig.

onewiththeducks: American Hoggers and Lady Hoggers are two shows all about wrangling nuisance hogs and the drama that apparently goes with it.

Last edited:
Think what you want, Iove this show! Even if they do swear, they censor it out. Besides, I haven't heard anyone on that show swear in a while, and it was censored too. The only time that Turtleman takes off his shirt is when he goes in ponds for turtles. Also, seriously you think that they forget or don't want to shave? I think that they just like their beards how they are. I know that they may make money from the show, but they all live in the backwoods of Kentucky, so they can't go to Walmart to buy clothes. Actually watch more than 5 minutes of the show before demonizing it.
You wanna bet they can't go to Walmart?
gig.gif
If Ernie can go all the way to Louisiana to help "Big Sexy" with a muskrat problem, I'm sure there are good enough roads for him to manage to get to a Walmart once in a while.

Have you ever really, really looked at some of the animals that Turtleman catches? As an example, I can recall an episode where he was removing rats from a house. A good percentage of the rats he caught were hooded, black, or some other fancy color that wild rats simply don't come in. Those rats weren't wild, they had been put there by the production crew for him to catch. We have the movie folks here in Wilmington; some of my rabbits and chickens have been props in movies and TV shows. They usually don't try too hard to be accurate; mostly, they don't know, and they figure most of the viewing public won't know, either.

Turtleman is a lighthearted, good-natured caricature of whatever Ernie really is, sort of in the same vein as what Andy Griffith did when he wrote "What it Was Was Football". Enjoy the show (I do!) but for Heaven's sake, don't take it seriously!

You wanna bet they can't go to Walmart?
gig.gif
If Ernie can go all the way to Louisiana to help "Big Sexy" with a muskrat problem, I'm sure there are good enough roads for him to manage to get to a Walmart once in a while.

Have you ever really, really looked at some of the animals that Turtleman catches? As an example, I can recall an episode where he was removing rats from a house. A good percentage of the rats he caught were hooded, black, or some other fancy color that wild rats simply don't come in. Those rats weren't wild, they had been put there by the production crew for him to catch. We have the movie folks here in Wilmington; some of my rabbits and chickens have been props in movies and TV shows. They usually don't try too hard to be accurate; mostly, they don't know, and they figure most of the viewing public won't know, either.

Turtleman is a lighthearted, good-natured caricature of whatever Ernie really is, sort of in the same vein as what Andy Griffith did when he wrote "What it Was Was Football". Enjoy the show (I do!) but for Heaven's sake, don't take it seriously!

There are Wal Marts even in remote parts of Eastern Kentucky - I know, because I have been there. If there is one place you CAN get to it is Wal MArt! LOL

True, you do have some good points. I didn't look at the rats too well. Also, I did agree that some of it was scripted. Like when he was catching the Nutria. He dove in the shallow water to catch some and could have easily caught them from the banks. No, I don't take it seriously most of the time, I just go on really long rants sometimes.

I see now thanks, I've never seen it, but from what you guys are saying, it doesn't sound very good

Well, you a lucky person. It is the pitts. My grand daughter watches that stuff, and she cannot wait to catch a pig. She has no idea how stinky and dirty they can be.

Back
Top Bottom