Calling all animal lovers!

Duckfarmer1

Crowing
Jul 23, 2019
Kane,Pa
I’m starting this thread to see who, on BYC has other animals other than birds....I’m betting most of us. I’ll start. I have a hobby farm full of small animals all the way up to livestock. It keeps us busy morning till night..good thing we retired young!! (40)! Besides just listing what we have...I’d like to see pictures and hear stories about them! I’m sure we all have great stories to tell! We have 14 chickens, 1 rooster, 14 pullets, 3 cockerels, 1 goose, 23 ducks, 27 rabbits—and 2 due to kindle this week!!, 2 goats-due to kid at the end of the month!!, two pot belly pigs, 1 Hampshire pig and 3 dogs. One of my ducks is Little Lou...he is my favorite. He is the runt. He’s a Saxony and beautiful, but it took him ten months to become fully feathered, and he never got more than 1 1/2 lbs. Last math he got stepped on and broke his knee. We couldn’t take him to the vet. I had to tube feed him 4 times a day for 4 weeks. He got better, but his knee is not healed right. But he’s alive and still my sweet Little Lou. He lives in the corner of the barn now, so he’s with the others, but can’t get hurt. I keep it wrapped and give him Epsom salt wraps. He’s a trooper. He’s my favorite little guy...now it’s your turn!
5B7F1CFB-8779-46B4-B6AE-60288F062556.jpeg
B05FB25F-55D0-4AD4-9852-8EB301E36F4E.jpeg
B91519C6-9031-434F-96CC-E4A0710D190D.jpeg
29CA29EF-0D6A-4FF9-B963-E65D90EFC39A.jpeg
C8086EBB-BEA3-4CC5-98A2-672951070ED0.jpeg

I've had lots of animals over the years - most of them birds, I've always been a bird person :) Aside from the chickens, I have ducks, geese, pigeons, and emus. I also have two cockatiels, two cats, a bearded dragon, and a betta fish.

In the past, I've had a lot more - hamsters, rats, I bred gerbils for awhile, a leopard gecko, hermit crabs, a Quaker parrot, a sun conure, budgies, dogs, goldfish, rabbits, and other types of poultry too like guineas, turkeys, peafowl, quail, I had a pheasant for a little bit, etc. For one memorable period my mom decided to try out a house pig - she wasn't happy being alone during the day so she went to a home that had four other house pigs.

Do you enjoy the emus? A friend has them and they are very bonded to the child. :). Over Christmas I had a Juliana mini pig...I was planning on breeding them...but, we found out that they are not sturdy enough for PA temps.. She had to stay in the house while we found her a new home...she had the energy of a lab puppy! And I’m always out working on my farm..so I felt bad. So, instead I’m going to get more pot belly pigs in the spring..if I’m not too busy with the goat kids. My pots are older, and the male is fixed. But they are a gentle breed. And, of course I had hermit crabs every year when we went to the beach..:). I knew you have a lot of birds..because you helped me a lot when Little Lou was in bad shape...thanks for that..:)

I adore my emus :) They are very friendly and curious, and hilarious to watch sometimes. Ciara, the one in my avatar, lets me dress her up, as you can see, lol.

I'd like to get hermit crabs again, but the care they require is intense, lol. Setting up and maintaining a proper habitat for them can take a good chunk of time, so I have to decide if I want to commit to that or not.

Lou's photo reminds me of my Paige, a runner duck who sustained nerve damage when she was egg bound. Her gait isn't pretty, but she gets around fine and gets extra treats because she's the ONLY duck who comes to her own name.

I have 19 chickens, nine runners, two American Buff geese, a pair of hair sheep, six miniature goats and five cats. The list of what I used to have would be too long for anyone to care about, including -- but not limited to -- donkeys, dogs, and freshwater aquarium fish.

Back
Top Bottom